We’re not involved in death at Oshodi, says Lagos Task Force

Lagos State Environmental and Special Offences (Enforcement) Unit (Task Force), on Tuesday, washed off its hand in the death of a young man at Oshodi earlier in the day “as being falsely reported on the social media.”

Chairman of the agency, CSP Shola Jejeloye, said this in a statement made available to newsmen, stating that the young man was knocked down as he was trying to cross the Oshodi Expressway by a commercial bus driver, who took off recklessly at a high speed, having noticed the presence of a Lagos Task Force vehicle, while illegally loading passengers by the roadside in Oshodi.

This was just as the Jejeloye vowed that the affected commercial bus driver would be arrested and prosecuted in accordance with the law of the land.

“Early this morning, a commercial bus driver was illegally loading passengers by the roadside in Oshodi and, on noticing the presence of a Lagos Task Force vehicle, took off recklessly at a high speed, knocking down the innocent young man who was trying to cross the Oshodi Expressway,” the Task Force boss said.

Jejeloye said commercial drivers had continued to flout the law and put the lives of commuters at risk despite repeated warnings and enlightenment campaigns about the dangers of violating traffic laws, pointing out that this violation of the law led to the death that occurred in Oshodi.

According to him, no gunshot was fired within the vicinity as being rumoured on the social media, urging members of the public to refrain from believing false information released online by mischievous individuals who, he said, were out to cause public disorder and unrest in the state.

ALSO READ: COVID-19: Kaduna reunites over 30,000 almajirai with their parents

“Despite warnings and enlightenment campaigns about the dangers of violating traffic laws, commercial drivers have continued to flout the law and put the lives of commuters at risk. This violation of the law led to the death that occurred in Oshodi.

“No gunshot was fired within the vicinity as being rumoured on the social media. Members of the public are advised to refrain from believing false information released online by mischievous individuals who are out to cause public disorder and unrest in Lagos,” Jejeloye stated.

The Task Force boss, therefore, on behalf of the state government, commiserated with the family of the deceased young man, vowing that the reckless commercial bus driver would be apprehended and prosecuted in accordance with the law.

“The Lagos State Government sympathises with the family of the deceased young man. The reckless commercial bus driver will be apprehended and prosecuted in accordance with the law,” he said.

YOU SHOULD NOT MISS THESE HEADLINES FROM NIGERIAN TRIBUNE

We’re not involved in death at Oshodi, says Lagos Task Force

Nigeria Recorded More COVID-19 Infections, Deaths, Recoveries Last Week

Again, Nigeria new weekly COVID-19 infections have witnessed yet another significant increase, Tribune Online analysis shows.

The second wave of the pandemic was officially announced after the infections began to rise in the first week of December…

We’re not involved in death at Oshodi, says Lagos Task Force

You might also like
Comments

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. AcceptRead More