The arraignment of 14 people and two companies, charged with N2.6 billion fraud has been adjourned till October 13.
The accused persons are: Chief C. S Sankey, Adekunle Oladosun, Okechi Egwu, Lulu Ndubuka, Oyowole Ariyo. Kabiru Bello, and J.E Eriagbon. Others are: Samson Ebie, Steve Obodomechine, Mikky Dons Nig. Ltd, Mark Anaele, Peter Harris, Peter Oriade, Olusola Fagbure and Obianwa Chuba and Nigeria International Bank Ltd.
They were charged on 20 counts bordering on conspiracy, intent to defraud, falsification of document, fraudulent alteration and diversion of over N2. 6 billion belonging to MicMerah International Agency Ltd before a Federal High Court.
It will be recalled that the arraignment of the accused had previously been stalled on Feb. 9, March 2 and April 11, following the inability of the prosecution to serve the accused with the criminal summons. In the charge, the accused were alleged to have conspired to induce MicMerah International Agency Limited, to deliver the said sum to them, to be used for offsetting a fraudulent import finance facility scheme.
They were also alleged to have falsified documents to fraudulently secure the release of four Volvo luxury buses and two 40-foot containers from the Nigeria Custom Service.
The court charged them with obtaining property by false pretence, as well as corruptly enriching themselves. The offence is said to have contravened the provisions of sections 1(1) (a), 1 (3), and 8 (a), of the Advanced Fee Fraud and Other Related offence Act, 2004.