THE National Hajj Commission of Nigeria (NAHCON) is yet to commence a hajj savings scheme, contrary to a media report, the commission’s spokesperson, Hajiya Fatima Sanda Usara, has said.
She told reporters on Wednesday that she had been misquoted in a report that said that the commission would kick-start the scheme for the next year’s hajj exercise.
“I actually spoke with reporters on hajj savings scheme but I didn’t specify the date or year of commencement as published by the news distribution medium,” she said.
NAHCON had announced that it would introduce a hajj savings scheme to enable Nigerians save gradually and pick a particular year to perform hajj.
NAHCON’s chairman, Abdullahi Mukhtar Mohammed, who announced the measure had, however, said that the kick-off of the exercise was subject to the approval of the Federal Government.
He also said a team of trustees would be set up to manage the fund.