Ogun: Proposed Health Insurance Scheme to cater for all ― Commissioner

THE Ogun State Commissioner for Health, Babatunde Ipaye, has said that the proposed state Insurance Health Scheme presently under debate by the State Assembly will cater for all irrespective of age, social status or political inclination in the state.

Ipaye, who said the bill was introduced to further reposition the state health sector, described the bill as an instrument for a positive initiative for all levels of income earners in the state.

Ipaye said this during a public hearing on the bill entitled: “HB. NO039/OG/2019 – A bill for a law to provide for the Establishment of the Ogun State Health Insurance Scheme and the Ogun State Health Insurance Governing Board with the objectives of ensuring access to good health care services to all residents of Ogun State and protecting their families from Financial hardship of huge medical bills and other matters connected therewith,” held at the Assembly Complex, Oke-Mosan Abeokuta.

The Commissioner added that the bill, upon passage and assent by Governor Ibikunle Amosun would reduce out-of-pocket expenses on healthcare and would have taken care of the rise in the cost of health care services for equitable distribution of health care costs among different income earners in the state.

ALSO READ: Ogun: I will create 10,000 direct jobs in six months ― AD guber candidate

The Commissioner also commended the lawmakers for giving the bill accelerated consideration, while noting that all necessary stakeholders including civil societies and professional groups as well as National Health Insurance Scheme were duly consulted in the drafting of the all-inclusive legislation.

He noted that “only 10 per cent of the pull of resources would be earmarked for administrative expenses, while the remaining 90 per cent would cater for health care services,” adding that “those already on another health insurance scheme would not be mandated to partake in the State scheme”

Earlier in his remarks, Speaker, Rt. Hon Suraj Adekunbi, said the bill became imperative as “there was a need to upgrade the existing health facilities to meet modern standard with a view to ensuring availability of quality drugs to complement the requirements towards attaining a global standard in the health facility in the state.”

The Speaker who was represented by his Deputy, Olakunle Oluomo, assured that the Assembly would ensure the speedy passage of the bill, as efficient health infrastructure and effective health workforce were required for a healthy society, promising that all submissions by stakeholders at the public hearing would be adequately considered in the bid to fashion out an all-inclusive health insurance law.

You might also like

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. AcceptRead More