Gombe gov inaugurates joint task force on illegal mining
Gombe state Governor, Muhammadu Inuwa Yahaya has approved the constitution and inauguration of Mineral Resources and Environment Management Committee (MREMCO) as well as a joint Special surveillance Taskforce ( SMSTF) against illegal mining and relevant activities.
According to a statement by Ismaila Uba Misilli, Senior Special Assistant on Media to the Governor, Engr. Sanusi Jibrin Gwani is the Chairman of MREMCO while Col. Sani Adamu Depsia ( Rtd) Special Adviser on Security matters (Rtd) is to chair SMSTF.
Members of the MREMCO Committee include Alh. Shehu Ibrahim Madugu, Hon. Commissioner, Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources; Mr Bitrus Bako Environment Officer, Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources; Yambiu Idris Buba, Director, Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources; Surv. Zakari Abubakar Difa, Ag. Surveyor-General, Ministry of Lands.
Other members are: Mr Absolom Baba H.O.D Sanitation/Chief Environmental Health, GOSEPA: Ishaku Kure
Deputy Director, Ministry of Environment; Mr Yunusa Mele, Deputy Director, Ministry of Agriculture; Mr Adamu Emmanuel Yakubu, Senior Forest Officer, Ministry of Agriculture and Mr Gregory Achi will serve as Secretary.
Terms of Reference for MREMCO Committee are:
- Consider and advise the Minister on issues affecting returns of necessary reports affecting grants of mining titles,
- Consider issues affecting compensation and make necessary recommendation to the Minister; Discuss, consider and advise the Minister on the matters affecting pollution and degradation of any land on which any mineral is being extracted
- Consider such other matters relating to mineral resources development within the state as the Minister may, from time to time, refer to the Committee.
- Advice the Department established in accordance with the provision of the NMMA, 2007 for the supervision of Mineral Exploration and implementation of Social and Environmental Protection measures.
- Advice the Local Government Areas and Communities on the implementation of programmes for environmental protection and sustainable management of Mineral Resources.
- Advice and other necessary assistance required by holders of Mineral Titles in their interaction with State Governments, Local Government Councils, Communities, Civil Institutions and other stakeholders.
- Advice the Minister in resolving conflicts between stakeholders; and Advice the Minister in respect of matters connected with the implementation of NMMA, 2007.
Members of the Taskforce include:
Hon Commissioner Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources, Representative of Ministry of Mineral Resources; Representative of Ministry of Lands, Representative of Ministry of Environment, Representative of Ministry of the Surveyor General; Representative of Federal Ministry of Environment, Representative of the affected Local Governments and Representative of Commissioner of Police.
Other members are: Representative of 301 FAR; Representative of Nigeria Immigration services; Representative of DSS; Representative of EFCC; Representative of NSCDC; Representative of Security Agencies; The State’s Federal Mines Officer will serve as Secretary I and Representative of State’s Mine Inspectorate will serve as Secretary II
Terms of Reference of the Committee are:
- Develop the inventory of flashpoints of artisanal and small scale mining sites and mineral processing points across the state.
- Undertake several unscheduled visits to all the flashpoints with a view to combating the illegal mining activities.
- Make arrest and prosecute all illegal mining operators in accordance with the provision of the Nigeria Mineral and Mining Act, 2007 and its regulation 2001.
- To develop a strategy to control/monitor the export of mineral commodities from the country.