Arms deal: Dasuki withdraws two applications

Former National Security Adviser (NSA), Col. Mohammed Sambo Dasuki (rtd), on Thursday withdrew two separate applications which he filed at the Federal High Court in Abuja in protest against his continuation of trial without being released from the illegal custody of the Department of State Services (DSS).

The former NSA told the court through his counsel, Olukayode Ariwoola that he was withdrawing the two applications because they had been overtaken by the event of his release by the Federal Government.

Responding, the prosecuting counsel, Mr Dipo Okpeseyi (SAN), said he had no objection to the request to have the applications withdrawn.

ALSO READ: Amotekun: Osinbajo, SouthWest governors meet

The trial judge, Justice Ahmed Ramat Mohammed subsequently struck out the applications and adjourned trial in the matter till March 11 and 12, 2020.

Dasuki is being prosecuted before the court on charges of money laundering and illegal possession of firearms instituted against him in 2015 by the Office of the Attorney-General of the Federation.

There are two separate sets of charges of alleged diversion of funds earmarked for the procurement of arms to fight Boko Haram insurgents in the North-East zone of the country pending against him at the High Court of the Federal Capital Territory in Abuja.

But none of the two other cases had come up since December 24, 2019, when he was released from the custody of the DSS.

The Minister of Justice and Attorney General of the Federation (AGF), Abubakar Malami (SAN) on December 24, 2019, conveyed the order of the Federal Government for the immediate release of the former NSA in a statement.

According to the AGF,  Dasuki’s release was in compliance with the bail granted him by various courts.


You might also like
Comments

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More