Ooni of Ife, Oba of Benin, Emir of Kano, others for ATQ’s Africa Travel 100 Global Personalities awards
AFRICAN Travel Quarterly, (Atqnews.com), has unveiled the first shortlist of winners of the Africa Travel 100 Global Personalities awards. The African Travel 100 Global Personalities award will take place during the 15th Akwaaba African Travel Market (AfTM) at Eko Hotels and Suites, Victoria Island, Lagos on September 23. AfTM is slated to host domestic and international participants from September 22 to 24.
According to the organiser of Akwaaba African Travel Market, Mr Ikechi Uko, “the award is to honour travel and tourism personalities who have contributed to the growth of the travel and tourism industry in Africa and the diaspora.”
The event will be part of the maiden edition of the African Tourism Diaspora Conference 2019. The conference is expected to draw top tourism personalities from around the world to Lagos Nigeria.
“African Tourism Diaspora Conference 2019 is to mark the 400 years of slavery. Slavery is a very sensitive topic that has created an uncomfortable relationship between Africa and its diaspora. The conference is an opportunity to celebrate the merging of Africans, Americans, Caribbeans and the rest of the world during this memorable gathering in Lagos.
“Africa, with 54 countries and a population of 1.2 billion, has some unbelievable tourist’s potentialities and attractions. The Caribbean and African diasporas have unique culture, rich heritage and beautiful destinations for tourists, hence the need to connect and combine these wonderful cultures and population together, creating a huge global market.
“The African Diaspora Tourism Conference will create a platform to discuss, initiate, dialogue and celebrate this new relationship. However, the recognition of Africa as a beacon of hope for African people living on the continent and in the diaspora to explore, relate and live using the conference as the African platform for the foundation of this long-lasting relationship. Posterity will remember that the improvement was earned, not by coincidence, but by conscious efforts to validate the struggles, strengths and linkages between African descendants on a Pan-African scale.
“The African diaspora and Africa have same unique culture, a rich heritage and beautiful destinations for tourism and trade, therefore, there is a need to connect and combine these wonderful cultures and population as a market for mutual benefit.
“The Africa Travel 100 Awards now in her 18th year, has recognised over the years leaders, industry practitioners and government official who have promoted tourism and improved travel using unique platforms and new information,” Uko said.
For the past 15 years, AKWAABA Africa Travel Market has been the major international and largest marketing platform to meet with airlines, travel agents, hotels, tourism boards, both foreign and local, the media and general travelling public in West Africa. Akwaaba Travel Market has grown to become the most important travel marketing platform in the region drawing attendance from over 7,000 to 10,000 visitors from 20 countries.
The third edition of the West African #jollofrice War will be on Sunday, September 22, together with the Ghana Day and Nigeria Day. The Aviation day and the Youth Tourism Panels will hold on Tuesday, September 24. Dubai and Gambian day will be on Monday, September 23.
Some of the past awards targeted at bringing the African Travel and Tourism Practitioners together projects include;
-Africa Travel 100 for Top 100 Travel Companies in West Africa 2016
-Africa Travel 100 Women 2017
-Africa Travel 100 Tour Operators 2018
-African Legend Awards – This prestigious category is given to exceptional industry and thought leaders, won by past president of The Gambia Sir Dawda Jawara, first Female African Airline Captain, Capt Irene Koki Mutungi, Danny Jordaan of South Africa for World Cup 2010, Capt Desta Zeru, first Captain of B787 Dreamliner and latest was by Kumneger Tekel, an Ethiopian pioneer of M.I.C.E. in Africa.
The Africa Travel 100 global Personalities awards initial shortlist of winners includes transportation, aviation, past African legends of travel winners, tourism media, tourism administration, hospitality/ facility owners, travel business, tour operations, heritage and culture and MICE promoters.
1 Rohan Vos, Owner of Rovos Rail (South Africa)
- Frank Nneji, Owner of ABC Transport (Nigeria)
- Visit tribuneonlineng.com for the complete list
- Tewolde GebreMariam, Group CEO of Ethiopian Airlines
- Rahel Assefa, Vice President, Ethiopian Airlines, Africa’s Top Ranked Lady Aviator
- Chief Allen Onyema, Chairman Air Peace, Africa’s Biggest Privately Owned Airline
- Captain Solomon Quianoo, Africa’s Top A380 Pilot (Ghana)
- Chief Togbe Afede, Chairman, Africa World Airlines
Past African Legend of Travel Winners
- Waturi Wa Matu, Travel Professional (Kenya)
- Captain Desta Zeru, First African Captain of B787 Dreamliner (Ethiopia)
- Captain Irene Koki Mutungi, Africa’s Top Female Pilot (Kenya)
- Kumnegger TeKel, MICE Promoter and event Organiser (Ethiopia)
- Wolfgang Thome, online Publisher and Leading Tourism Publisher Uganda
- Jason Njoku, Publisher & Promoter IROKO TV Nigeria
- Najib Balala, Tourism Minister Kenya and CAF/UNWTO President.
- Elcia Grandcourt, Africa Representative UNWTO (Seychelles)
- Alain St. Ange, Former Minister of Tourism Seychelles
- Ambassador (Dr) Eriaka Bennett, Head of mission, AU Diaspora office
Hospitality/ facility owners
- Ato Tadiwos Belete, Kuriftu resort (Ethiopia)
- Tony Elumelu, Chairman Transcorp Hotels (Nigeria)
- Oskar Ibru, Ibru Organisations leading Hopitality investor (Nigeria)
- Professor Nzamujo, Proprietor Songhai integrated Agricultural centre (Benin)
- Mr Samih Sawiris, Proprietor El Gouna Resort (Egypt)
1.Julie Dably Scott, Kenya Travel Business Executive (CWT)
- Femi Adefope, Nigeria Travel Business Owner (HRG,CWT,GHI,APG)
- Richard Akerele, Logistics and Airlines Support Services (ASL Newrest)
4.Taiwo Afolabi, Chairman SIFAX Airport Logistics
- Zainab Anseil, Zara Tours Tanzania
- Uloma Egbuna,Tour Brokers International, Emirate Holidays, Royal Carribean.(Nigeria)
- Amos Wekesa, Ugandan Tour Operator
- Peace Anyiam Osigwe, Convener Africa Movie Academy Awards (AMAA)
- Ben Murray Bruce, Silverbird Galleria and Most Beautiful Girl in Nigeria
- Governor Ben Ayade, Organiser Carnival Calabar
- Rick Taylor, MICE Expert (South Africa)
- Rabbi Kohan, Executive Director Panafest (Ghana)
- Tom Kunkler, Organiser Kilifair and SITES (Tanzania)
Heritage & Culture,
- Professor Zahi Hawass, Egyptologist and Former Curator of the Heritage of the Pharaohs
- Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Enitan Ogunwusi, King of Yorubas and Promoter of Olojo Festival
- Emir of kano, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, Custodian of Kano walls and Durbar Festival
- Oba of Benin, Eheneden Erediauwa Ewuare II, Custodian of Benin Moat and Igwe Festival
- Obi of Onitsha, Nnaemeka Alfred Achebe, Ofala Festival
- King Mswati, Swaziland Reeds Dance Umhlanga Festival
- Otumfuo Osei Tutu II, AKwasidae Festival (Kumasi, Ghana)