21-year-old electrocuted in Osun

Tragedy struck in Osogbo, capital of Osun State, on Wednesday, when a 21-year-old man was electrocuted while working on a low tension electric pole at Aleegun area of Otaefun.

The deceased, identified as Mutiu Aderemi, was an electrician in the area, who responded to a call by one of his customers to fix the electrical problem on the low tension pole.

The incident, which occurred around 8:10p.m., was said to cause confusion in the area as residents were shocked at the sudden death of Mutiu.

Nigerian Tribune reliably gathered that the deceased, who had electrical shop in the neighbourhood, was working on the electrical fault when the pole suddenly broke and fell on him.

One of the eyewitnesses informed the Nigerian Tribune that people around the scene heard a loud noise and rushed out to ascertain what was happening only to discover the lifeless body of Mutiu, who was struck by the broken pole.

According to him, “he was badly burnt and already dead when we arrived at the scene. Police were later called and the body was evacuated. The remains of the deceased was later released and buried by his family.”

However, while reacting to the incident, Miss Kikelomo Owoeye from the Communication and Branding Office of Ibadan Electricity Distribution Company (IBDEC) for Osun Region, said the company had been warning residents against tampering with its facilities, stressing that henceforth anybody caught carrying out unauthorised repairs on its installations would be prosecuted.

She stated that “we have had lots of cases being handled by the police and NSCDC for us, concerning those caught in the act of illegal access to our facilities, but we would be glad if communities will work with us by ensuring that their members are not engaging in this criminal act so as to avoid untimely death and loss of lives and property.

“IBEDC is ready to serve the customers better so, if there are faults on their lines, they should not hesitate to report to us,” Owoeye asserted.