Tiv/Jukun crisis: Again, 10 killed, over 100 houses destroyed, 3,000 people displaced
SPECIAL Adviser to the Benue State governor on Security, Colonel Paul Hemba (retd), on Thursday, said that about 10 persons were feared killed in Vaase in Ukum Local Government Area of the state during renewed crisis between Tiv/Jukun people.
Colonel Hemba said that about 100 houses were also destroyed during the crisis.
Hemba disclosed this at a news conference in Makurdi, the state capital.
He further revealed that over 3,000 persons had been displaced and were currently taking refuge in Jootar, also in Ukum LGA.
Hemba said that due to the intensity of the fresh clashes, there might be more casualties as security agencies were still combing the area to recover more bodies.
He said: “Efforts have been made by the state government to stop the crisis which started from Kente, a border town between Benue and Taraba states.
“I have travelled to the area three times in the week. The crisis started in Kente, which is largely populated by Jukun and Tiv people.
“While there, I held meetings with the Aku Uka of Wukari and the Special Adviser to Governor Darius Ishaku on Security. Also in attendance was the Tor Sankera from Benue axis, Chief Abu Shuluwa.
“It was resolved that there should cessation of hostilities to pave way for peace, but it is so sad to note that after the meeting, killings are still going on.
“I received a report that rampaging Jukun youths invaded Vaase and vandalised several properties, while also killing people.
“Maybe the resolutions have not been properly communicated to them. I also met with the Tiv youths and told them not to take the law into their hands,” Hemba stated.
The security adviser said that he had already spoken to the police, and were already in the process of deploying more men to the area when new attacks occurred.
According to the special adviser, the situation in Kente at the moment is calm, while appealing to youths from the two communities to embrace peace for the interest of development.