43 killed in Goronyo market attack —Tambuwal

SOKOTO State governor, Aminu Tambuwal, has confirmed that 43 people were killed when gunmen attacked Goronyo market on Sunday. 

According to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), the confirmation was made in a statement by Muhammad Bello, Special Adviser, Media and Publicity to Governor Tambuwal. 

“Governor Tambuwal gave this clarification after due diligence on figures of those who died in the attack,” the statement said. 

According to Bello, Tambuwal had earlier on Monday put the figure at about 30 when the Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant-General Farouk Yahaya, paid him a courtesy visit. 

“The number of people who died in Goronyo, I did say it was above 30. I wasn’t categorical about the figure. 

“We just finished a meeting with some stakeholders and I have confirmed that we lost 43 people unfortunately to that attack,” Tambuwal was quoted as saying. 

Meanwhile, Senator Aliyu Wamakko has condemned the killing in Goronyo market by bandits. Special Assistant on Media to the senator, Bashar Abubakar, in a statement in Abuja on Tuesday, said the lawmaker described the attack as barbaric and inhuman. 

Wamakko, a former governor of the state, also said that no religion allows the wanton killing of innocent souls. 

“The senator commiserates with the people of Goronyo Local Government, the families of the deceased and the entire Sokoto State. 

“God will not allow this ugly trend to continue ravaging Sokoto communities,” Wamakko, added. 

He prayed the Almighty Allah to forgive the departed souls and expose those behind the killings of the innocent victims. 

Wamakko also urged residents of the state to continue to pray to Almighty Allah to provide a remedy to these ungodly acts.

 

YOU SHOULD NOT MISS THESE HEADLINES FROM NIGERIAN TRIBUNE

Lagos Is Second Least Liveable City In The World For 2021

Lagos is the second least liveable city in the world for the year 2021. This is according to the most recent annual ranking put together by the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU)…

FACT CHECK: Did UNICEF Say Blocking Children’s Access To Pornography Constitutes Human Rights’ Infringement?

CLAIM 1: A Twitter user claims UNICEF said any efforts to block children from accessing pornography might infringe their human rights.

VERDICT: MISLEADING!


You might also like
Comments

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. AcceptRead More