Police say Robin Westman, the shooter who attacked a Minneapolis Catholic school Mass on Wednesday, had recently gone through a breakup and was staying with a friend.
Search warrants show Westman had most recently lived in Richfield but was staying in St. Louis Park after the breakup, according to the killer’s father.
Investigators also searched the father’s home in Minneapolis, seizing a tactical vest, two computer drives, and documents.
Authorities confirmed that Westman opened fire during the morning service, killing two children aged 8 and 10 and injuring 18 others, many of them students. Westman was later found dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound, wearing tactical gear and carrying two long guns.
ALSO READ: US: Two children killed, 17 others injured as gunman attack Catholic school in Minneapolis
The van used in the attack belonged to Westman’s father.
Court records show Westman was born Robert Paul Westman and legally changed names in 2019.
The filing noted, “Minor child [redacted] identifies as a female and wants her name to reflect that identification,” signed by Mary Grace Westman, who police said worked at the Annunciation Catholic Church where the attack occurred. Westman had attended the school attached to the church until eighth grade.
Federal authorities also visited a Florida condo owned by Mary Grace Westman as part of the investigation. Local deputies had been at the same address the day before the shooting for an unrelated welfare check.
“Contact was made with Mrs. Westman, who stated the juvenile and the juvenile’s mother had previously lived there and were no longer residing with her,” the Collier County Sheriff’s Office told Fox News Digital.
Officials stressed the visit was not related to the shooter or the family. However, the FBI has not commented on its Florida activity.
Minneapolis Police Chief Brian O’Hara said investigators are still trying to contact Mary Grace Westman, who has not cooperated so far. Her lawyer, Ryan Garry, told Fox News she is “deeply distraught” and not connected to the crime but has hired counsel to handle inquiries.
Police also confirmed that Westman posted online writings and videos before the attack. “[It] appeared to show him at the scene and included some disturbing writing,” O’Hara said.
Videos later removed from YouTube showed notebook pages, firearms with messages written on them, and commentary from the shooter. Authorities said all three firearms were purchased legally, and Westman had no prior criminal record.
NBC News reported that in 2018, police in Eagan responded to a mental health incident at a former address linked to Westman.
(Fox News)
ALSO READ TOP STORIES FROM NIGERIAN TRIBUNE
WATCH TOP VIDEOS FROM NIGERIAN TRIBUNE TV
- Let’s Talk About SELF-AWARENESS
- Is Your Confidence Mistaken for Pride? Let’s talk about it
- Is Etiquette About Perfection…Or Just Not Being Rude?
- Top Psychologist Reveal 3 Signs You’re Struggling With Imposter Syndrome
- Do You Pick Up Work-Related Calls at Midnight or Never? Let’s Talk About Boundaries