The tragic death of Hafsoh Lawal, a young woman lured and murdered via social media earlier this year in Ilorin, the Kwara State capital, has sparked a statewide response aimed at tackling the growing menace of technology-facilitated gender-based violence (TFGBV).
Speaking during the launch of a stakeholder engagement programme tagged From Silence to Action in Ilorin on Saturday, the Executive Director of Brain Builders Youth Development Initiative (BBYDI), Nurah Jimoh-Sanni, raised the alarm over the increasing threat of online gender-based violence.
Represented by Ruth Adeosun, the Executive Director stated that the initiative was not designed to apportion blame, but to build “a future where women and girls in Ilorin are safer not only on our streets but also in our digital spaces.”
She emphasised that no single sector could address the challenge of gender-based violence alone, adding, “Protecting our daughters, wives, sisters, students, and neighbours requires all of us — from the mosque to the church, from the police station to the ministries, from the civil society office to the family living room.”
The initiative, supported by Urgent Action Fund-Africa, is intended to go beyond dialogue and drive community-based solutions to the rising cases of harassment, exploitation, and violence that women and girls face on digital platforms.
“Across Kwara, across Nigeria, and indeed across Africa, women and girls are being harassed, exploited, silenced, and harmed through technology in ways our laws, systems, and even social norms are struggling to keep up with.
“In March, Hafsoh’s life was tragically cut short by someone who found her through social media. Her story is heartbreaking, but sadly not unique. What makes today different is that we are choosing to act,” said Nurah Jimoh-Sanni.
The event brought together stakeholders from various sectors — religious leaders, government officials, civil society actors, security agencies, and community members — to jointly craft a Charter of Commitments outlining practical steps each sector will take to protect women and girls in digital spaces.
“It is clear that no single sector can tackle this challenge alone. From the mosque to the church, from the police station to the family living room, we all have a role to play,” she reiterated.
Participants also inaugurated a Joint TFGBV Response Committee to ensure coordination, follow-up, and accountability, aiming to move the conversation beyond the event into sustained action.
The dialogue not only emphasised the urgency of the issue but also the importance of transforming harmful tools into instruments of empowerment.
“The same technology that is used to harm can be harnessed to protect, educate, and empower — if we make the right choices,” she said.
She warned that success would not be measured by fine speeches or policy documents, but by tangible change.
“Our success will be measured by the safety of the next girl logging onto her phone. It will be measured by how we support the next survivor who speaks up — and whether we believe her, protect her, and take action.”
The event concluded with a passionate call for courage, commitment, and practical collaboration.
“We owe Hafsoh, and every woman and girl in this city, more than grief. We owe them action — urgent, united action.”
The BBYDI initiative aims to become a model for other cities in Nigeria grappling with the silent but growing threat of online gender-based violence.
ALSO READ TOP STORIES FROM NIGERIAN TRIBUNE
WATCH TOP VIDEOS FROM NIGERIAN TRIBUNE TV
- Let’s Talk About SELF-AWARENESS
- Is Your Confidence Mistaken for Pride? Let’s talk about it
- Is Etiquette About Perfection…Or Just Not Being Rude?
- Top Psychologist Reveal 3 Signs You’re Struggling With Imposter Syndrome
- Do You Pick Up Work-Related Calls at Midnight or Never? Let’s Talk About Boundaries