Ahead of a White House meeting on the conflict, to be chaired by U.S. President Donald Trump on Wednesday, Israeli tanks advanced into a new area on the northern edge of Gaza City overnight, destroying houses and forcing residents to flee.
According to Reuters, residents reported that tanks entered the Ebad-Alrahman neighbourhood late Tuesday, shelling homes and wounding several people.
Many were caught off guard and fled deeper into Gaza City, which is already home to nearly half of the enclave’s two million residents.
“All of a sudden, we heard that the tanks pushed into Ebad-Alrahman, the sounds of explosions became louder and louder, and we saw people escaping towards our area,” said Saad Abed, 60, a former construction worker.
Israel has repeatedly described Gaza City as Hamas’ last stronghold and signalled plans for a new offensive. Military spokesperson Avichay Adraee said evacuation from the city was “inevitable,” noting that tents were being brought in for displaced families. Palestinian and UN officials, however, warned that at least 1.5 million additional tents are still needed.
Despite evacuation orders, church leaders in Gaza City announced on Wednesday that they would remain, calling movement south “nothing less than a death sentence.” The Greek Orthodox and Latin Patriarchates of Jerusalem said clergy and nuns would stay to care for those sheltering in their compounds.
Meanwhile, U.S. special envoy Steve Witkoff confirmed that Trump would chair a meeting on Gaza at the White House. Secretary of State Marco Rubio is also scheduled to meet with Israel’s Foreign Minister Gideon Saar in Washington.
By Wednesday, Israeli tanks pulled back from the Ebad-Alrahman neighbourhood to the Jabalia area but continued bombardments in three eastern suburbs of Gaza City, Shejaia, Zeitoun, and Sabra. Gaza health officials reported at least 20 deaths, including a four-year-old girl, in the latest attacks.
ALSO READ: Equatorial Guinea jails Baltasar Engonga, popular official in sex tape scandal
The Israeli military said its forces were working to “dismantle terror infrastructure sites and eliminate terrorists,” adding that Mahmoud Al-Aswad, a senior Hamas intelligence official, was killed in an airstrike earlier in August. Hamas has not confirmed his death.
The war, now in its eleventh month, has left Gaza in ruins and displaced nearly the entire population. Since the conflict began on October 7, 2023 when Hamas-led fighters stormed Israel, killing 1,200 people and abducting 251, Gaza health authorities say more than 62,000 Palestinians have been killed. Israel disputes those figures.
On Wednesday, the health ministry in Gaza said 10 more people had died of malnutrition, bringing deaths from starvation and related causes to 313, including 119 children.
In Israel, pressure is mounting on Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, as thousands of protesters rallied on Tuesday demanding an end to the war and the release of hostages still held in Gaza.
Israel has not yet publicly responded to the latest U.S.-backed 60-day ceasefire proposal, which Hamas accepted last week.
ALSO READ TOP STORIES FROM NIGERIAN TRIBUNE
WATCH TOP VIDEOS FROM NIGERIAN TRIBUNE TV
- Let’s Talk About SELF-AWARENESS
- Is Your Confidence Mistaken for Pride? Let’s talk about it
- Is Etiquette About Perfection…Or Just Not Being Rude?
- Top Psychologist Reveal 3 Signs You’re Struggling With Imposter Syndrome
- Do You Pick Up Work-Related Calls at Midnight or Never? Let’s Talk About Boundaries