The Federal Government has developed a new anticipatory action framework on floods, aimed at shifting the country’s disaster management approach from reactive to proactive, coordinated early response.
The framework on flood prevention, developed by the Anticipatory Action Task Force (AATF), features a blend of scientific and traditional data-gathering methods, early warning triggers, and a consolidated budget designed to build resilience in flood-prone states and communities across Nigeria.
The draft framework and consolidated budget were presented to Vice President Kashim Shettima on Wednesday at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
Speaking, Shettima stressed that disaster management must be approached as a matter of national security and urged all stakeholders to adopt a scientific, preventive mindset.
“Disasters are security issues. Over the years, we have mostly been reactive instead of practising proactive disaster management. By seizing this initiative and believing in science, we have followed due process to map out a roadmap,” he stated.
Shettima applauded President Bola Tinubu for providing the leadership to prioritise disaster preparedness and also lauded the Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA) for its role in coordinating the initiative.
“We will engage all key stakeholders in the Nigerian project to rally support. Collectively, we can marshal the necessary resources and address our core vulnerabilities,” the Vice President added.
Also speaking, Minister of Humanitarian Affairs and Poverty Alleviation, Prof. Nentawe Goshwe Yilwatda, described the framework on flood prevention as a major policy shift.
“We’re transitioning from reaction to recovery, from losses to prevention,” he said. “For instance, in 2004 alone, floods displaced about 1.2 million people and destroyed 1.3 million hectares of farmland, resulting in over $1 billion in losses. If just one per cent of that amount had been invested in prevention, we could have saved much more.”
National Security Adviser, Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, echoed the urgency of early response, warning that while natural disasters are often beyond human control, how we prepare and respond determines the scale of the impact.
“Despite all the resources one may have, if we’re not anticipating and preparing adequately, we will suffer the worst consequences. Reaction is within our power, and that’s what matters most,” Ribadu said.
Providing an overview of the Task Force’s work, Special Assistant to the President on Humanitarian Affairs and Development Partners, Mrs. Inna Audu, explained that since its inauguration in March, the group has completed several key milestones, including a validation workshop and comprehensive data gathering using both scientific and traditional methods.
She also announced the formation of a Strategic Communication Working Group under the NSA’s office within the National Counter Terrorism Centre (NCTC), led by Major General Adamu Garba Laka.
“The communication group will implement a tiered advocacy strategy, informed by data from the Trigger Group, to ensure that states, local governments, and communities are properly sensitised and equipped to act on early warning signals,” she noted.
The Anticipatory Action Framework is expected to serve as a blueprint for national disaster preparedness, beginning with the 2025 flood season.
ALSO READ TOP STORIES FROM NIGERIAN TRIBUNE
WATCH TOP VIDEOS FROM NIGERIAN TRIBUNE TV
- Let’s Talk About SELF-AWARENESS
- Is Your Confidence Mistaken for Pride? Let’s talk about it
- Is Etiquette About Perfection…Or Just Not Being Rude?
- Top Psychologist Reveal 3 Signs You’re Struggling With Imposter Syndrome
- Do You Pick Up Work-Related Calls at Midnight or Never? Let’s Talk About Boundaries