The Minister of Power, Works and Housing, Mr Babatunde Fashola has brought to public notice another hack on his twitter account, @tundefashola. It will be recalled that this same twitter handle suffered similar fate in September, last year.
According to a statement signed by Mr Fashola’s Special Adviser on Communications, Mr Hakeem Bello on Tuesday, the twitter account must have been compromised since late Sunday, as members of the public, who follow the Minister, started calling to draw attention to the gibberish tweets in the early hours of Monday.
Hakeem Bello, Special Adviser, Communications Minister, who also issued a release on the development, said that, “The account has been recovered and safeguarded to prevent recurrence but people are alerted to be on the lookout for scammers who may want to use the Minister’s name to dupe unsuspecting members of the public.”
He said that, “Fashola had also severally dissociated himself from the antics of Facebook scammers, and other unscrupulous persons who use his photographs and ascribe fictitious statements to him on fake Facebook accounts aimed at defrauding innocent people,” and advised “members of the public to always clarify with the appropriate agencies of government at all levels before engaging in any dealings with people purportedly working for them, the statement also urged people to report anyone making suspicious monetary or other demands to the law enforcement agencies.”