YabaTech: Fire guts Bakassi female hostel

A fire incident, Wednesday morning, occurred at Yaba College of Technology (YabaTech) destroying the roof as well as two floors in a female hostel, Bakassi.
According to students who spoke with Nigerian Tribune, the fire broke out around 5:30 am, and lasted more than one hour. The cause could not be confirmed, though there were indications it was caused by electrical problems.
A student who identified himself as Ashiru Ahmed narrated their ordeal.
“The fire started around 5:30am in an hostel called Bakasi, the female section. The fire service unit of the school didn’t really respond to the accident promptly, because if they did, the fire would’ve been off before it got worse. . No casualties recorded, no death.. Just panic and shock.”
Also speaking, the Public Relations Officer of the College, Mr Charles Oni, said the situation was arrested after some initial difficulty by firemen.
“The fire started from the fourth floor, and then continued to the third floor. Firemen initially encountered some difficulty accessing the affected part of the building, but with our facilities, they were eventually able to reach there and put out the fire.”
Firemen from the Lagos State Fire Service and officials of the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency are still battling with the fire as at the time of filing this report.
Though the cause of the fire was yet to be ascertained, it might have started from a power surge in one of the electrical appliances in the hostel.
A student, who pleaded anonymity, told the Nigerian Tribune that  the fire was noticed after power supply was switched over from generating set.

You might also like
Front Page Today

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More