Ondo 2016: AD to challenge Oke’s eligibility in court

The controversies rocking the Alliance for Democracy (AD) over the candidature of Chief Olusola Oke as the governorship standard-bearer of the party in the Ondo State governorship election took another turn on Tuesday as the party’s the party’s national legal adviser, Mr Kehinde Aworele, has threatened to go to court to challenge Oke’s elegibility as the party’s candidate.

Aworele, who spoke to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Lagos, said Oke did not meet the party’s requirements to contest on its platform.

“Although, there is a pending suit before a Federal High Court in Akure, which I do not want to pre-empt, as the national legal adviser of AD, I will challenge Oke’s eligibility to contest on the platform of our party in court anytime from now.

“Obviously, for anybody to contest on the platform of AD, the person must have spent a minimum of 10 weeks as financial member, the requirement Oke did not meet.

“Besides, the process of presenting such candidate must be tabled at the quorum of the National Executive Council (NEC) of the party and not just by three leaders as they did in his case.

“Chief Olusola Oke is a senior lawyer; he should go and read the party’s constitution and should not be deceived by few leaders. Personally, I have nothing against him, but he cannot not join the party through the back door,” he said.

Aworele alleged that the party had been factionalised since Oke joined it on Oct 3.

The AD National Organising Secretary, Mr Ibrahim Abdollah, had in a communiqué after the party’s NEC meeting on Oct. 14 in Akure, said the party was unaware of Oke’s candidature.

loading...