Lamentations as Lagos govt demolishes shanties in VI, Ikoyi, Lekki

LAGOS State government, on Saturday, finally moved its bulldozers to Ikoyi, Victoria Island and Lekki to commence “Operation Clear Illegal Structures and Shanties” around the area, in line with the promise made before last Sallah celebration.

Operatives of the Lagos State Task Force on the Environment and other agencies of government, including the Kick Against Indiscipline (KAI), participated in the exercise which commenced around 8.00 a.m.

In areas such as Akin-Adesola Street,  Victoria Island, among others, illegal structures and shanties demolished, as owners of such structures counted their losses.

The operation, Sunday Tribune learnt, was led by the chairman of the Task Force, SP Olayinka Egbeyemi, with expectation that the day’s exercise would continue into the night.

Spokesperson of the Task Force, Mr Adebayo Taofiq, while speaking with the Sunday Tribune on telephone, said the exercise was ongoing in line with the directive of the state government, recalling that the government had earlier slated the demolition exercise to commence after the Sallah holidays.

It will be recalled that the Special Committee on Clean-Up of Ikoyi, Lekki, and Victoria Island had, in a statement made available shortly after its inauguration by the state governor, Mr. Akinwunmi Ambode, said it had concluded plans to commence enforcement of the Environmental Sanitation and Town Planning Laws in the affected areas after the holidays.

Secretary to the State Government (SSG) and Chairman of the committee, Mr Tunji Bello, disclosed this in an interview with newsmen, saying this followed the expiration of the 14-day ultimatum issued to all owners of illegal structures, abandoned buildings, inhabitants of shanties, street hawkers who converted walkways into trading points and food courts in the affected areas.