JTF nabs suspected killers of 3 soldiers in Nembe

•Kills 2, warns against declaration of Niger Delta Republic

The Military Joint Task Force Operation Delta Safe (ODS), on Tuesday, paraded three suspected members of the Niger Delta Avengers (NDA) who attacked and killed four of its soldiers at Nembe, while two of them were said to have lost their lives in a shoot-out with troops of the outfits.

It will be recalled that gunmen on August 8, attacked and killed three soldiers stationed at a military check-point, at the entrance of Nembe community, Nembe Local Government Area of the state and carted away their arms, ammunition and military gunboat.

The military also used the opportunity to warn those militant groups which threatened to declare Niger Delta republic  unsafe to have a rethink, as the military was ready to defend the territorial waters of the nation and assure inhabitants and those on genuine business on the waterways of their safety.

It also urged the militants and other criminal elements in the oil-rich region to embrace the windows of opportunity provided by the Federal Government for amicable resolution of grievances by any aggrieved group or face the full wrath of the law.

This, the JTF Commander, Rear Admiral Joseph Okojie, said while briefing newsmen at the headquarters of the operation in Igbogene, Bayelsa State.

Okojie averred that the outfits’ coordinated patrol, which had earlier discovered their hideout, engaged the criminals in a gun battle that led to the death of some of them and the arrest of three members of the gang.

He said the raid on the hide-out at Saraba creek, near Okiama community in Okigbene, Southern Ijaw Local Government area of Bayelsa State, followed an earlier raid on August 13, where several items, including the military gunboat taken away from the murdered soldiers at Nembe, were recovered.

Parading the three, Okojie said, “In pursuit of these discoveries, a coordinated patrol was further launched and yesterday August 22, 2016, own troops at about 1400 hours (2pm) located and engaged these criminals in a shoot-out in which some of them were believed to have been killed, three suspects arrested and large quantity of arms, ammunition and gunboat that was taken from Nembe on August 8, 2016,were recovered.

He said the mop operation on the militant camp at Epebu creek in Southern Ijaw Local Government Area, a large cache of arms and ammunition were removed which included nine AK 47 rifles, one FN rifle, four HK21 MG, one G3 MG, and three GPMGs, among several ammunition, magazines and gun powder.