Gunmen abduct lawmaker’s dad going to bury wife

•2 Chinese kidnapped, N20m demanded

Unknown gunmen, on Saturday abducted Chief W.G Watson Iti, father of the lawmaker representing Brass Constituency II in the Bayelsa State House of Assembly, Honourable Alfred Belemote Watson, on his way to bury his wife.

It was learnt that Chief Watson was whisked away at about 9.00 a.m. on Saturday by kidnappers on his way to Egweama from Okpoama in Brass Local Government Area of the state.

It will be recalled that Chief Watson had complained receiving strange messages on his mobile phone, while the identity of the sender was hidden.

Fillers received before the abduction was that the senders were asking him to make an undisclosed amount of money available to them based on the fact that his son was representing the area in the state House of Assembly.

Chief Watson, it was gathered, was not hurt by his abductors, who intercepted him on his way to bury his wife, Madam Comfort Watson, when the kidnappers attacked their boat and whisked him to an unknown destination.

Sunday Tribune gathered that Chief Watson was yet to get over the shock of his wife’s demise and suffered malaria fever before he was kisnapped.

The abduction, it was learnt unsettled his son, who had concluded plans to embark on a thank-you tour of his constituency.

In another development, gunmen numbering about 10, on Friday evening, kidnapped two Chinese, Jieng AI Jung, 50 years and Wen So Ping, 45 years, at Ajaga village in Nasarawa Local Government Area of Nasarawa State.

Investigations by Sunday Tribune revealed that the victims, who were attached to the West African Polaris Investment, were ambushed by gunmen, while N20 million ransom was said to have been demanded.

It was further  gathered that the gunmen were armed with weapons, shooting sporadically to scare both the villagers and motorists.

Witnesses told Sunday Tribune that the incident created commotion in the area.

When contacted on phone, the state Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Ismail Numan, confirmed the incident, adding that police did not have any information on ransom now.