Some criminal gangs have invaded Vocational and Rehabilitation Centre, Kuchiko in Bwari Area Council of Abuja, in an attempt to rescue some of the inmates at the centre.
687 beggars/destitute arrested over various offences were at the centre as at the time of the invasion.
The incident came after previous attempts at the Kuje prison.
However, the detail of the recent incident at Kuchiko was not clear as at the time of this report.
It was, however, confirmed and deliberated upon at an emergency FCT security committee meeting which held at the residence of FCT Minister, Musa Bello at Life Camp District on Monday.
FCT Police Commissioner, Commandant Guards Brigade, Garrison Commander, heads of Navy and Air Force in the FCT and Director of FCT DSS attended the meeting.
Others included the FCT Permanent Secretary, Dr. Babatope Ajakaiye; chairmen of the six Area Councils in FCT; Coordinator, AMMC; acting Mandate Secretaries; Ona of Abaji and heads of para-military agencies in the FCT.
An insider told the Nigerian Tribune that the meeting condemned the attempt.
The insider said that the committee also decried illegal use of uncompleted buildings in Abuja by destitute, miscreants and other criminals in the territory and warned that owners of such property would be held responsible for any security breath traced to their property.
Also confirming this to the Nigerian Tribune, the Deputy Director at FCT administration in charge of Information, Hazat Sule said the minister stressed that the administration would continue to collaborate with the security agencies to ensure that the ban against begging was made effective.
He said that Bello emphasized that the institutions must be strengthened to carry out their statutory duties in line with the change agenda of the Federal Government.
Sule said the minister commended the security community in Abuja over the high-level intelligence sharing that has so far assisted the administration to nip in the bud any security breach in the territory.