AGAINST the release of another video by Boko Haram purportedly showing 50 of the Chibok school girls still in the insurgents’ captivity, the Chief of Defence Staff, Lt General Gabriel Olonishakin, has said that the decision to meet Boko Haram’s demand for the release of their detained members rests on the presidency.
Boko Haram, had, in the video released over the weekend, said they could only give freedom to the girls if their members detained in various prisons were released.
Fielding questions from State House correspondents after a meeting on Monday, Olonishakin said the decision to release the Boko Haram detainees was a political decision as the military could only be concerned with their ongoing operations.
Asked whether the military would meet the insurgents’ demand, he said: “That’s a political decision to be taken. The military decision is that we are going ahead with our operation and the operation is being conducted appropriately,” he said.
The military boss said they were in the presidential villa to discuss how to deal with the different crises bedevilling the country including flood and terrorism.
He said the military was analysing the Boko Haram video released at the weekend and would make appropriate comment about it later.
Gen Olonishakin denied that one of those declared wanted on Sunday in connection with the Boko Haram video had been left to go despite turning himself in saying, “he has reported to the men and he is with them. I don’t think he was turned back.”