Video: Incredible moment 2-year-old boy saves his twin from being crushed by wardrobe

Video: Courtesy Mail Online.

Heroes come in all shapes and sizes – including extra small, as a two-year-old Utah boy discovered when his twin brother rescued him from a fallen dresser.

Toddler Brock Shoff was playing in his bedroom when a dresser tipped over onto him as his brother Bowdy – and the home’s surveillance cameras – looked on, Mail Online said.

What followed was an impressive feat of cool-headed action – and impressive strength – from the pint-sized superhero.

But the incident highlights concerns over the safety of children and the dangers of tall furniture.  

The video, posted on Facebook Sunday by the kids’ parents as a warning of the dangers of tipping dressers, starts with Brock already trapped and crying under the corner of the heavy dresser.

As the boy shifts around, the pressure on his ribcage is terrifyingly obvious.

And with mom Kayli upstairs for just a moment, there are no adults around to help.

But Bowdy doesn’t need adults. He calmly walks around the dresser, trying to figure out how to help his trapped twin, before coming up with a plan.

At first, he tries to lift it up with his bare hands – but it’s just too heavy.

Then he tries pushing it – and it slowly but surely begins to move.

Brock, meanwhile, is able to roll out from underneath, revealing that the jammed-open drawers of the dresser have taken some of the weight off his body.

The fallen boy cries as his brother turns to him and the video ends, but according to Kayli both boys were recovered and playing together when she came back to the room.

She didn’t hear the dresser falling or her son crying, she told the station.

Dad Ricky posted the video to Facebook with a message.

‘I’ve been a little hesitant to post this. But I feel it’s not only to bring awareness, but it is also incredible,’ he wrote.

‘We are so grateful for the bond that these twin brothers share. We know Bowdy was not alone in moving the dresser off of Brock. And feel blessed that he is ok.

‘Please make sure all your dressers are bolted and secured to the wall. Please share.’

Falling furniture is highly dangerous to children.

On December 21, Ikea paid out $50 million to the parents of three toddlers who were killed after dressers from their now-discontinued Malm range fell on them in separate incidents.

In 2004, Kimberly Amato’s daughter Meghan, three, was killed by a falling dresser in the middle of the night.

The heartbroken mother decided to set up a charity aimed at preventing the startlingly high number of children who die in the same way.

Reacting to the video, she told MailOnline: ‘My initial thought was it’s a miracle that Brock survived and was not seriously injured.

‘He was one of the lucky ones and that should in NO way give parents a false sense of security thinking a child can always survive a dresser tip-over.

‘Although it was an amazing demonstration of twinship and resourceful brotherly love, it could have ended up being much more tragic, especially if that child had been alone.

‘The brother attempting to move the dresser also could have moved it the wrong way and caused the one under the dresser to become more injured, or, he could have become a victim, too.

‘My second reaction was that obviously, if the dresser were anchored to the wall, it would not have happened at all.

‘It demonstrates how quickly a dresser can fall, and why it’s so important to anchor furniture to the wall.

‘My third reaction was that it is a beautiful demonstration of how kids climb dressers and shelves, and again, why you have to anchor furniture to the wall.

‘Also, the family obviously had a security camera in the room.

‘This is an excellent example of why security cameras for babies and toddlers give a false sense of security.

‘Had Brock been hit in the head, or God forbid, both boys be trapped under a fallen dresser, a child pinned under a piece of furniture would have potentially stopped breathing or their heart could have stopped.’

According to Meghan’s Hope, quoting the US Consumer Product Safety Commission, the most recent figures, published in 2012, notes that more than 25,400 children are injured every year by falling furniture, televisions or appliances.

It means 71 children are injured by a falling piece of furniture, TV, or appliance every day proving fatal, on average, every two weeks.

The founder of the charity said: ‘We never thought her dresser, a small, heavy, well-made by a well-known juvenile product manufacturer and a top of the line piece, would tip or fall, let alone kill anyone, we were horribly wrong.

‘She has left us, her twin brother, and her older brother all devastated at her loss.’

The charity calls for parents to bolt their appliances and furniture to their walls, and although many reacted to the video by praising the parents for sharing their experience and Bowdy for saving his brother, others criticized the Shoffs.

Cynthia L Snyder said: ‘Just teach children how to behave and that the world isn’t a jungle gym.

‘Somehow there are many generations that have grown up without furniture being bolted.

‘It’s not the dresser’s fault. Parents need to be held accountable.

‘Two boys unattended equals disaster.

‘Parents who don’t hear the commotion equals people who shouldn’t have children.’

But plenty of people jumped to Mr and Mrs Shoff’s defense, including Ashley Martines, who said: ‘Mistakes happen. This is not to bash any parents.

‘It can happen to any parent.’

Some even questioned the validity of the video, saying it was staged to help Mr Shoff sell the equipment used to film the incident.

The family denied the claims.


You might also like
Comments

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More