Justice Adenike Akinpelu of the Kwara State High Court, sitting in Ilorin on Tuesday sentenced one Salami Yusuf Adetola, said to be a USA lottery agent, to six months imprisonment over offences bordering on impersonation and cybercrime.
Adetola was sentenced alongside one AbdulKareem Abdulmojeed Olamilekan, a graphic designer from Ifelodun Local Government Area of Kwara State, and one Nwabudike Emmanuel Lawrence from Ethiope-East Local Government Area of Delta State over a similar offence.
In a statement by the Head, Media and Publicity, Wilson Uwujaren, the Ilorin Zonal Command of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) arraigned the now-convicted three persons on separate charges, to which they pleaded guilty.
“Following the guilty plea by the defendants, R.A. Alao, counsel to the EFCC, called witnesses who are operatives of the Commission and tendered evidences which included the device used in perpetrating the crime and various fraudulent messages printed out of the defendants’ phones and laptops, to establish the alleged offences against them. After the review of the facts of the cases, Alao urged the court to convict and sentence the defendants as charged.
In her judgment, Justice Akinpelu held that the prosecution had proved its cases beyond a reasonable doubt.
While Adetola was sentenced to six months imprisonment with N200,000 as an option of fine, Olamilekan was sentenced to one year imprisonment with N300,000 as an option of fine.
On the other hand, Lawrence bagged a prison term of six months on each of the two counts against him, which shall run concurrently with an option of a fine of N200,000 on each count.
The judge also ordered the forfeiture of the various devices used as an instrumentality of the crime by the convicts to the federal government as well as restitution to the victims of the crime.
YOU SHOULD NOT MISS THESE HEADLINES FROM NIGERIAN TRIBUNE
CLAIM: A Facebook user claims water gotten from snails (snail slime) and peak milk can cure partial or full stroke.
VERDICT: The claim that water gotten from snails (snail slime) and peak milk can cure partial or full stroke is false.
FULL STORY: On July 26, 2020, a Facebook user, Prince Nnamdi Enyinnaya Emelelu Eluwa, in a post claimed that water gotten from snails (Snail slime) and peak milk can cure partial or full stroke. The post which is over a year old has recently been reshared by other Facebook users.
On Monday, August 9, 2021, the World Health Organisation (WHO) confirmed the first case of Marburg virus in West Africa in Guinea. This development has sent shivers down the spines of West Africans who are still grappling with the effects of the coronavirus pandemic. But before this dreaded disease is greeted by rumours and misinformation, here is what you have to know about the virus.APC states to establish Health Emergency Trust Fund…
CLAIM: Several social media posts claim the United States of America (USA) gave Nigeria’s Federal Government 48 hours to detain suspended Deputy Police Commissioner, Abba Kyari, or face severe sanctions.
VERDICT: The claim is false and misleading. The US did not give Nigerian Federal Government 48 hours ultimatum to detain Abba Kyari.
FULL STORY: Tons of reactions have greeted the indictment of suspended Deputy Police Commissioner, Abba Kyari, by the United States District Court for the Central District of California.
The court indicted Kyari following his alleged involvement in the international scheme to defraud a Qatari school founder of over $1 million. The fraud scheme was masterminded by popular Instagram celebrity, Ramon Abbas, also known as Hushpuppi.
Few weeks ago, Eniola Oyemolade, a journalist, decided to get creative while cleaning, by mixing a toilet cleaner and a bleach together. She did this with the thought that if one product works, mixing it with another would make it even better.
Unknowing to her, Mixing bleach with toilet cleaner creates a poisonous gas that can cause adverse health reactions, including death.
“After the mixture, I started feeling a burning sensation in my throat and I had to leave the room because the odour was really bad too,” she said.