[UPDATE] COVID-19: Lagos discharges 5 additional patients

•As one more dies

Lagos State governor, Mr. Babajide Sanwo-Olu, on Sunday announced that five additional COVID-19 patients have been discharged having tested positive twice, bringing the total number of those discharged already in the state to 29.

The governor, however, noted sadly that the state recorded another death, bringing to two the total number of deaths from COVID-19 in Lagos.

Governor Sanwo-Olu disclosed this while giving a daily update of the state government against the ravaging pandemic COVID-19, saying the five patients comprise two males and three females including a 10- year-old girl.

The governor expressed delight at the development, saying: “My dear Lagosians, greetings. Yesterday (Saturday), I announced the discharge of one more patient at our Infectious Disease Hospital, Yaba.

“Today (Sunday), I am happy to inform you that five more patients comprising two males and three females including a 10-year- old girl have tested negative twice consecutively to #COVID19 and have been discharged to reunite with their families. This brings to 29 the total number of patients who have fully recovered and discharged from our facility at Yaba.

“It is, however, sad that the state has recorded another death, bringing to two the total number of deaths from COVID19 in Lagos State,” he said.

Governor Sanwo-Olu, while noting that there was a strong indication that the state was winning the battle against the disease which is ravaging several countries across the globe, said the citizens needed to remain steadfast and aggressive to curtail the spread, adding that the result of tests conducted by the state health workers on the recovered patients was a confirmation that they posed no threat to the community.

He, therefore, enjoined Lagosians not to stigmatise the discharged patients as this act could bring feelings of shame, hopelessness and despair, saying the citizens needed to do all they could to support them in whatever form to get over the memories as soon as possible.

ALSO READ: COVID-19: Ondo lawmaker donates food items to less privileged

This was just as he expressed his appreciation frontline health workers in the state who he said were taking good care of the patients, members of the Lagos State Health family and the Emergency Operation Centre for their kindness and flexibility in managing the patients and checking the spread of the disease.

“As the disease ravages countries all over the world, Lagos State will continue to do the needful in terms of responding to emergencies in an effort to ensure the health and wellbeing of our people. We will do our best to make sure that other patients at the facility receive the best of care and attention so that they can return home to join their families and the community soonest,” Governor Sanwo-Olu assured.

“In order to contain the spread of the disease, I strongly advise you to continue observing Social Distancing. Let us remain indoors and shun the temptation to breach the presidential restriction that has been placed on our state so that the gains recorded so far are not eroded.

“You should regularly and thoroughly wash your hands with soap and clean, running water and where water is not readily available, an alcohol-based hand sanitizer can be used,” he counseled.

The governor, however, frowned at reports that some youths in the state still engaged in sporting and related activities, describing the act as “very unfortunate,” warning that such “act could jeopardise our efforts and the laudable intention of the lockdown.”

“I, therefore, advise you to adhere strictly to our instructions so that together we can win the battle,” he reiterated.

COVID-19: Kaduna Govt Begins Distribution Of N500m Food Items
Kaduna State government on Saturday began distribution of the N500 million worth of food items in the eight pilot local government areas of the state. The commissioner for Human Services and Social Development, Hajiya Hafsat Baba disclosed this, while flagging off the distribution at Kaduna North local government which is… Read story

UPDATE: Chronic Kidney Disease Killed Enugu Health Commissioner ― Family
The Enugu State Commissioner for Health, Professor Anthony Ugochukwu, died of chronic kidney disease, the family of the late top government official has revealed. A statement signed by Dr. Kingsley Ugochukwu on-behalf of the deceased family which was made available to Tribune Online in Enugu on Saturday stating that the late… Read full story

COVID-19: Oyo Begins Markets Fumigation This Week
Interim Chairman, Oyo State COVID-19 task force, Professor Temitope Alonge has said the state will this week decontaminate (fumigate) markets spread across the state. As contained in a statement by Chief Press Secretary to Oyo State governor, Mr. Seyi Makinde, the decontamination would be carried out using experts… Read full stor

COVID-19: Bauchi Gov, Bala Mohammed, Tests Negative
Unconfirmed reports have it that Bauchi State Governor, Sen Bala Mohammed Abdulkadir, has tested negative after completing the first round of treatment for COVID-19. Though the story is trending in the social media, as at the time of filing this report, no official statement from the government unlike in the past when such… Read full story

NIGERIAN TRIBUNE

You might also like
Comments

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More