Sokoto govt subsidises 500 trucks of fertiliser for 966m naira

SOKOTO State government has granted a subsidy of 966 million Naira on the 500 trucks of fertiliser purchased for distribution to farmers in the state for this year’s wet season farming.

The state Governor, Aminu Waziri Tambuwal, disclosed this on Monday while launching the sales and distribution of fertiliser for wet season farming held in Binji local government area of the state.

The Governor explained that a bag of NPK will be disbursed at the rate of N4000 with a subsidy of N3,100, while a bag of Urea would be offered for sale at the rate of N7,700 with a subsidy of 900 nairas only.

ALSO READ: Subsidy is a fraud, Nigeria paying for inefficiency ― NLC(Opens in a new browser tab)

He further revealed that state government would shoulder 60 per cent of the subsidy while the remaining 40 per cent would be shouldered by the Local governments.

Governor Tambuwal, also said that the state government has expended nothing less than the sum of N17billion on agricultural activities during its first tenure.

He, however, warned against selling the commodity to the middlemen, saying that anyone caught in the act would be dealt with according to the law and prosecuted as well.

He further emphasised that considering the fact that 80 per cent of the state population are farmers, adding that the government would continue to accord priority to the agricultural sector.

Comments