98-year-old, Queen Elizabeth II husband admitted to hospital

Britain’s Prince Philip was admitted to a London hospital Friday for “observation and treatment,” Buckingham Palace has said in a statement.

The prince, who is Queen Elizabeth II’s husband, was admitted as a precautionary measure concerning a pre-existing condition on the advice of his doctor, the palace added.

It was a planned visit, and the 98-year-old walked in for treatment, a spokesperson for the palace told NBC News, adding the queen remains at her Sandringham Estate in Norfolk,

The prince, who is is the longest-serving consort of any British monarch, is expected to stay in the hospital for a few days, the spokesperson added.

He retired from public life in 2017, after spending decades supporting the queen and attending events for his charities and organisations.

ALSO READ: Christmas: Church leaders preach hope, love among Christians, Nigerians

On their golden wedding anniversary in 1997, the queen said he did not take easily to compliments but had been her “strength and stay all these years”.

A former naval officer and keen polo player, Philip enjoyed robust health well into old age but has had several health issues in recent years.

In 2011, he was rushed to a hospital by helicopter from Sandringham after suffering chest pains and treated for a blocked coronary artery. In 2017, he spent two nights in the King Edward VII hospital and was hospitalised for ten days in 2018 for a hip replacement.

You might also like
Comments