No N9.9bn traced to my account ― Ambode

The immediate past governor of Lagos State, Mr Akinwunmi Ambode, has denied ownership of the bank account allegedly containing N9.9bn which was frozen by a federal high court sitting in Lagos on the request of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC). Ambode gave this clarification on Friday in a release issued by his spokesperson, [...]

The immediate past governor of Lagos State, Mr Akinwunmi Ambode, has denied ownership of the bank account allegedly containing N9.9bn which was frozen by a federal high court sitting in Lagos on the request of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

Ambode gave this clarification on Friday in a release issued by his spokesperson, Mr Habib Aruna, copy of which was made available to newsmen.

The former governor asserted that no account of his contained N9.9bn let alone being frozen by the EFCC, saying in the spirit of Sallah and having served Lagos State diligently well with utmost dedication and integrity, his record was very clear and his mind joyful for such opportunity.

Ambode said while he did not intend to join issues with the anti-corruption agency at this time especially as there had been no communication between him and the commission on this issue, it was pertinent to clarify what he believed was a misleading import of the press statement made available on Tuesday.

According to him, the accounts in question that were frozen by the Federal High Court belong to the Lagos State Government and not him or any individual, saying those accounts were opened in the course of normal operations by the state government for its administrative purposes and not for the former Governor’s personal transactions as was being wrongly insinuated.

This was just as he noted that the said account had been operated to ensure smooth operations of government activities in the state.

“Those accounts were opened in the course of normal operations by the Lagos State government for its administrative purposes and not for the former governor’s personal transactions as was being wrongly insinuated and have been operated to ensure smooth operations of government activities by previous and present administrations.

“The former governor was not and will never be involved in any unauthorized use of government property and resources,” the statement affirmed.

ALSO READ: EFCC to arraign Atiku’s lawyer over alleged $2m money laundering charges

“We strongly believe that after four demanding years as Chief Executive of Lagos State, Mr Ambode is entitled to some deserved rest with his family and loved ones without the unwarranted attacks on his well-earned reputation,” it added.

Former Governor Ambode expressed  the belief that all hands must be deck at this critical time in the nation’s  polity to support “our great party, the All Progressives Congress (APC) both at the state and national levels in order to continue to deliver the dividends of democracy to Lagosians and Nigerians respectively.”

He,  therefore, re-assures Nigerians that he remained committed to the ideals of President Muhammadu Buhari and the founding fathers of the party for the attainment of the Next Level for Nigeria.

To this end, he extended warm Sallah greetings to President Buhari and his deputy, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo; National Leader of APC, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu and the entire leadership of APC as well as every Lagosian, praying that the lessons of Sallah will serve as a catalyst for the much-needed bond and spirit of brotherliness among all and sundry in our great country.

You might also like
Comments

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More