Nigerian teenager, Fola Orebiyi, stabbed to death in London •15-year-old suspect arrested

A 17-year-old Nigerian, Fola Orebiyi, has been stabbed to death by a gang of youths who chased him on bicycles during a street clash at Notting Hill, West London.

Orebiyi, according to an eyewitness report was chased into the busy road, on Sunday, where he was stabbed in the neck in front of shocked passersby and tourists.

Report said all efforts by the Police and paramedics to resuscitate him when an ambulance arrived, proved abortive.

In a latest development, a 15-year-old boy has been arrested on suspicion of Orebiyi’s murder.

He was suspected to be a member of the gang who chased Orebiyi, a as sixth form student, and  attacked him in Portobello Road at around 8.45 p.m. Sunday night.

Witnesses, according to Mail Online report said a fight had broken out nearby before his killing.

“He collapsed just two doors down from the shop unit which featured in the 1999 Hugh Grant film Notting Hill, and although police and paramedics, including an air ambulance, rushed to help him, he was pronounced dead at the scene.

“Detectives launched a murder investigation into his death and arrested a suspect, who is being questioned at a central London police station.

“The victim’s family were told of the tragedy and this morning said they were too upset to speak.

“Witnesses said the boy had been chased into Portobello Road after a fight broke out on a neighbouring estate,” report said.

Another account quoted a teenager, who wished to remain anonymous, as saying:  “I know what happened, he was protecting a friend over a silly beef which turned violent.”

A mother-of-one said she watched police resuscitate the teen after he collapsed.

The woman, who according to a report asked not to be named, said: “It was traumatising.

“It took half an hour for the ambulance to arrive even though there are hospitals all around.

“I spoke to the person who called the police and he said it took them so long to get here.

“The police were all on him trying to resuscitate.

“All I could see were his feet and lots of blood.

“I’m a mum, for me this is so sad, that’s someone’s child. That’s someone’s baby.”

One, according to Mail Online report said the teenager, who was studying for his A Levels at a nearby school, had been stabbed in the neck in front of shocked passersby and tourists, while drinkers in the Portobello Star pub rushed to try to help him.

“People saw him fall down and try to get to his feet again,’ witness Mark Gettleson told the Evening Standard.

“Police and paramedics tried to resuscitate him for a long time, they did everything they could.’

He added: “It’s absolutely tragic another young man has died on our streets.”

Another neighbour added: “There were lots of kids gathering around the area on bikes before it happened. Police said the youngsters chased him on their bikes.”

One resident told of the ‘awful’ scene, which saw paramedics working on the boy outside La Cave a Fromage cheese shop.

The elderly woman, who wished to remain anonymous, said: ‘I was watching TV when I heard an awful commotion downstairs.

“I watched out of the window and could see the reflection of a police car.

“There were loads of people including paramedics with orange vests on. There was a crowd of people watching.

“We could see paramedics working on him, there was blood everywhere.

“Then, suddenly, they all stepped back and we knew they didn’t step back because he’d survived.

“A young boy was murdered here. It is such a waste of a child’s life. It’s just awful.’

The woman said this part of Portobello Road has a low level of crime.

She said: ‘This is a low crime area, not so much as a pick pocket comes by here.’

Today, friends paid tribute to Fola, who had just sat his AS exams, laying flowers in honour of him at the scene.

Dion Morina, 17, said he went to school with Fola at Holland Park School, and learned his friend had been stabbed via a text message.

“Social media was alight last night but the first I heard was from a friend who texted me asking “is Fola dead?” he said.

“I thought it was a sick prank so me and my friends came down to Portobello Road.’

“It was horrible. We don’t understand what’s happened.’

He added: ‘He was a sociably guy, he loved being with his friends. He loved football and definitely wanted to go to university.”

One woman, the mother of one of his childhood friends, said Fola was a “lovely boy.”

“My son and Fola were friends since they were in nursery,” she said. “He was such a lovely boy.

“He was so intelligent and never in any gang. I am just so sad.”

A teenage boy, who had brought flowers, said he had been friends with Fola through playing sport.

“We played football together and knew each other from the local area,’ he said. ‘All his friends are distraught. We just wanted to pay tribute to him.”

A Metropolitan Police spokesman said officers had been called at 8.45pm last night by the London Ambulance Service after a report that the boy had been stabbed.

She added: “Officers attended the scene and immediately implemented first aid and CPR to an injured male.

“London Ambulance Service and London’ Air Ambulance arrived shortly after.

“The victim was pronounced dead at the scene. Next of kin are aware.”

A post-mortem examination will take place on Tuesday at Westminster Mortuary.

You might also like

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. AcceptRead More