Insecurity: NSCDC Officer, 8 others kidnapped again in Abuja 

⦁ as police launch manhunt to rescue victims

Suspected kidnappers stuck again on Monday at Pegi, a resettlement area in Kuje Area Council of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Abuja and made away with nine-person including a Personnel of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) to an unknown destination.

Findings revealed that the gunmen who dressed in military camouflages arrived the settlement around 8 00 pm in Hilux Van.

It was however gathered that the local vigilantes put up a brave challenge which made the kidnappers abandon their operational vehicle riddled with bullets and ran into the bush with their victims.

One of the victims was said to have been seriously wounded in the process and receiving treatment in an undisclosed hospital.

One of the community leaders confirmed that the kidnappers had called this morning  (Tuesday) and demanded N10 million ransom from a relative of the abductees to set him free.

The Chairman Pegi Community Development  Association (PECDA),  one Chief Taiwo Aderibigbe also confirmed the development, saying that available information revealed that the invaders were more than 20 in numbers and that the matter had been reported to the Police.

ALSO READ: Court remands man for allegedly defiling 9-year-old girl

It would be recalled that in 2018, four people were kidnapped along the same makeshift path to the community that housed naval quarters.

Meanwhile, the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Abuja  Police Command has confirmed the incident and that frantic effort was being made to rescue the victims.

In a statement made available to newsmen in Abuja by its Spokesman, DSP Anjuguri Manzak, the Command said: “though details of the incident are still sketchy, the Command is urging members of the public to be calm while the Police intensify effort to rescue and reunite victims with members of their families.”

The Command called on the members of the public to be security-conscious and provide information to the Police and other relevant security agencies on suspicious movements and activities within their communities.

The Command reassured members of the public of its commitment to protecting lives and property in the Federal Capital Territory. ​

The Spokesperson of the NSCDC, Emmanuel Okeh also confirmed the abduction of the Corps’ personnel, saying that frantic efforts were being made to secure his release.

You might also like
Comments