Government to demolish buildings along canals

No fewer than 60 buildings constructed along the canal in Akungba Akoko in Akoko Southwest Local Government Area of Ondo State will be demolished within the next one month in order to prevent flooding and further loss of lives.

This development came as the body of the 400 level student of Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba Akoko, Doyinsola Motunrayo Boluwaji, who was swept away by the flood was still missing.

This was disclosed on Wednesday by the Council’s  Chairman,  Dr Dapo Faseesin, who said the occupants of the buildings had been given a month notice to vacate the area.

According to him, the houses would be marked for demolition within the next 24 hours, noting that some of the houses located around Medoline area of Akungba-Akoko harboured about 500 students, saying many of the buildings have no concrete foundation and were built along the canal.

Faseesin said: “We will give them one month notice after which the buildings will be demolished. We can not allow a further loss of lives.”

The monarch of the town, Oba Sunday Ajimo said some people in the town were distorting the original plan of the town because of the advent of the University and described the demolition along the canal as a welcome development.

ALSO READ: CAC spends N1bn to settle nine per cent salary increment arrears

He said the steps would go a long way to prevent the loss of lives of students and people of the community saying Akungba Akoko has an original plan since 1940 but said the landlords who wanted money at all cost resulted in building along with any available lands in the community thereby distorting the master plan of the town.

Giving details of what happened on Monday, a close friend of the deceased, Miss Adekemi Odunwo said her friend was swept away by the flood and all attempts to locate her proved abortive.

Odunwo said the students escaped through the roof of their houses when the flood started. She said Motunrayo slipped off the hands of her friend who wanted to save her and was seeing being taken away by the flood.

The Deputy Vice-Chancellor, Prof Francis Gbore described the incident as unfortunate as the lady was in her room when she was swept away by flood.

Gbore said: “A search team was constituted, yet we have not been able to see the lady. The Director of Works could not find the remains of the lady.

“This a period of trying time for the university. There are students who could not access their homes in Akungba-Akoko.

“We demand more accommodation for students in the institution so that we could avoid such an occurrence in the future.”

The Deputy Chief of Staff, Dr Jimi Kufo who represented the Deputy Governor, Hon Agboola Ajayi said the State Emergency Agency (SEMA) would invite ministry of environment to the rescue.

Kufo said they want to access the damage and report back to the government.

Comments