Flood: 157 die in Germany, Belgium 

RESCUE workers searched flood-ravaged parts of Germany and Belgium for survivors on Saturday after burst rivers and flash floods collapsed houses and claimed at least 157 lives. “We mourn with those that have lost friends, acquaintances, family members,” German President FrankWalter Steinmeier said during a visit to Erftstadt in the state of North Rhine-Westphalia, where the disaster killed at least 43 people. 

“Their fate is ripping our hearts apart,” he added. Some 133 people have died in the flooding in western Germany, the country’s worst natural disaster in more than half a century. That included about 90 in the Ahrweiler district south of Cologne, according to police. Hundreds of people were still missing. Around 700 residents were evacuated late on Friday after a dam broke in the town of Wassenberg near Cologne, authorities said. 

“Water levels have been stabilising since last night, one can say the situation is stable,” Wassenberg mayor Marcel Maurer said adding “It’s too early to give the all clear but we are cautiously optimistic.” 

The Steinbachtal dam in western Germany, however, remained at risk of breaching, authorities said, after some 4,500 people were evacuated from homes downstream. 

Steinmeier called the flooding a tragedy and said it would take weeks before the full damage, expected to require several billions of euros in re-construction funds, could be assessed. Armin Laschet, state premier of North Rhine-Westphalia and the ruling CDU party’s candidate in Septem- ber’s general election, said he would speak to Finance Minister Olaf Scholz in the coming days about financial support. 

In Belgium, the death toll rose to 24, according to the national crisis centre, which is coordinating the rescue effort. 

“Unfortunately, we have to assume that this figure will continue to rise in the coming hours and days,” the centre said in a statement. 

About 20 people are still missing. Germany’s largest power producer, said on Saturday its opencast mine in Inden and the Weisweiler coal-fired power plant were massively affected, adding that the plant was running at lower capacity after the situation stabilised. 

The utility expects damages to be in the mid-double-digit million euro range. In the southern Belgian provinces of Luxembourg and Namur, authorities rushed to supply drinking water to households without a clean supply. 

Water levels slowly fell in the worst hit parts of Belgium, though the crisis centre said the situation could worsen in the afternoon along the Demer river closer to Brussels, with about 10 houses under threat of destruction. Belgian rail network operator Infrabel published plans of repairs to lines, some of which would be back in service only at the very end of August. Prime Minister Alexander De Croo and European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen visited some of the worst affected areas of the country on Saturday afternoon. 

High alert in The Netherlands Emergency services in the Netherlands also remained on high alert as overflowing rivers threatened towns and villages throughout the southern province of Limburg. 

Tens of thousands of residents in the region have been evacuated in the past two days, while soldiers, fire brigades and volunteers worked frantically throughout Friday night to enforce dykes and prevent flooding.

The Dutch have so far escaped disaster on the scale of its neighbours, and as of Saturday morning, no casualties had been reported. Scientists have long said that climate change will lead to heavier downpours.

But determining its role in these relentless downpours will take at least several weeks to research, scientists said on Friday.

 

YOU SHOULD NOT MISS THESE HEADLINES FROM NIGERIAN TRIBUNE

Lagos Is Second Least Liveable City In The World For 2021

Lagos is the second least liveable city in the world for the year 2021. This is according to the most recent annual ranking put together by the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU)…

FACT CHECK: Did UNICEF Say Blocking Children’s Access To Pornography Constitutes Human Rights’ Infringement?

CLAIM 1: A Twitter user claims UNICEF said any efforts to block children from accessing pornography might infringe their human rights.

VERDICT: MISLEADING!

You might also like
Comments

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. AcceptRead More