COVID-19: Ekiti govt receives N631million from donors, records 4 new cases
The Ekiti State government on Friday revealed that the state has received over N600 million donations from philanthropists and private organisations in supports of the government’s efforts towards combating the deadly coronavirus.
The government also revealed that it has recorded new four cases, which involved three males and one female, who sneaked into the state from Lagos, Katsina and Oyo states during the lockdown.
This was disclosed by the Commissioner for Health, Dr Mojisola Yaya-Kolade when the members of the COVID -19 task force gave an update on the spread of the scourge in the State.
Yaya-Kolade said though, the State has discharged some patients from the isolation centre but hinted that three of the four new cases were those that have been quarantined having come to the state from places considered as the epicentre of COVID-19.
“We have four new cases now. One of the cases is an old man that has been isolated in one of our tertiary health institutions for a while. He is an elderly person who is in a critical condition.
“Others included a 35- year old female from Katsina and 32- year male from Ibadan while the third one is a 38 -year old male from Lagos, who all sneaked into Ekiti during the lockdown.
“But despite all these, no community spread, because they all came from outside. We beg our people to always alert us when new people came into town because this has been working.
“But we are begging that nobody should come to Ekiti now, it is an executive order given by Governor Kayode Fayemi that nobody should come at this precarious time.
“It constitutes a financial burden to Ekiti for a victim of COVID-19 to come from Lagos, Oyo, Katsina States to come to our state for treatment,” she stated.
Yaya-Kolade added that the government has trained a total of 80 civil servants on how to test the people using an infrared thermometer.
She added that a total of 234 blood samples had been taken and tested since the outbreak of the disease, assuring that more will be done to safeguard the state from calamity.
Also speaking, the Director-General, Office of Transformation, Strategy and Delivery, Professor Bolaji Aluko, stated that the state has benefited a sum of N631.083 million cash donations through the COVID-19 fund mobilisation Committee, headed by Chief Afe Babalola (SAN).
He said, “We have received a sum of N631.08m million from 535 contributors which the breakdown includes 231 donors and 234 political appointees.
“About 50 private organisations had donated food items and other consumables to fight this scourge by way of cushioning the effect of lockdown on the people.”