Coronavirus: No one tested positive at UCH ― Chief medical director

University College Hospital (UCH) Ibadan has debunked the rumour going around that a patient who tested positive to COVID-19 is on admission at the hospital.

This is even as the hospital said it was reducing human traffic in the hospital as a precaution to prevent the spread of the infection.

UCH’s Chief Medical Director, Professor Abiodun Otegbayo, while speaking at a media briefing on Thursday said the suspected case of COVID-19 infection is currently self-isolating and the result of the person’s blood sample sent for tests are being awaited.

He declared, “the details about this suspected case and efforts so far made had been provided by the honourable commissioner for health in Oyo State yesterday (Wednesday).”

Professor Otegbayo said that in reducing the clustering of a large number of people in a place, a potent measure to prevent and control the spread of the virus, only patients with valid appointments will be allowed in the clinics and premises of the hospital.

He said the situation had placed a demand on the hospital to scale down on non-essential duties, adding that only emergency cases will be attended to in the hospitals’ dental clinic.

Otegbayo said although the hospitals’ accident and emergency department will remain open to attend to all emergencies, all elective surgical operations are postponed till situation return to normal.

According to him, “only when absolutely necessary should patients be accompanied to regular clinic visit and the number of accompanying caregivers should be minimum required for the purpose.

ALSO READ: Lagos records four new cases of coronavirus as Italian tests negative

“Patients on our wards will be allowed only one relative at a time to attend to their needs and all non-essential visits are strongly discouraged at this time.

“Patients without gross features of their medical condition, because they are clinically stable, are advised to stay at home and to resume regular clinics visits after the pandemic has subsidised.”

Professor Otegbayo also announced the immediate closure of the School of Nursing, School of Health Information Management and all federally funded schools with the hospital indefinitely.

He asked that anyone with such symptoms as runny nose, sore throat, cough and fever or concerned that he has the infection call the hospital’s COVID-19 response team for education on necessary steps to take on 08131733982; 08177557039 and 08131733694.

The don, however, encouraged, Nigerians to remain calm, be more cautious and proactive in measures proved to reduce the transmission of the virus to protect themselves from the virus.

The CMD later launched a 30-member hospital task force on COVID-19 to enforce strict compliance with the hospitals’ measure to prevent and control the spread of the virus in the hospital. NIGERIAN TRIBUNE

You might also like
Comments

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More