Catholic priests abducted in Ondo regain freedom

The two Catholic priests abducted by gunmen in Elegbeka area of Ose Local Government Area of Ondo State last Friday have been released after six days in the captive of their abductors.

Confirming the release of the priest, the State Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) Mr Femi Joseph, said the priests have regained their freedom.

Joseph said the priests were freed as a result of the efforts of the men of the command who had been combing the forest where the victims were taken to by the abductors.

According to him,  no ransom was paid before the victims were released but said the command is still on the trail of the hoodlums.

ALSO READ: El Rufai’s cabinet is mini Nigeria — Obasanjo

The PPRO said: “I can confirm that the two priests have been rescued from the den of the hoodlums.

“Immediately the incident happened, we have deployed our men to comb the forest, it was when we closed in on them that they released the victims and ran away.

” Even after they have been released, we are still after the bandits and very soon we will get them arrested.”

The two priests, Rev. Fr. Joseph Nweke and Rev. Fr. Felix Efobi from Awka Catholic Diocese of in Anambra State were reportedly kidnapped at Elegbeka area of the state.

The two priests were on their way to Akure, the state capital for a wedding ceremony on Friday evening before they were abducted by the kidnappers.

The kidnappers had also demanded a sum of N100million for the freedom of the clergymen.

You might also like
Comments

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. AcceptRead More