5 years of Chibok girls: FG has failed —BBOG
•I’m still working on return of all Chibok girls —Buhari
Co-convener of Bring Back Our Girl Campaign (BBOGC), Oby Ezekwesili, on Saturday, berated the Federal Government led by President Muhammadu Buhari over its failure to secure the release of the remaining Chibok school girls, abducted by Boko Haram exactly five years ago.
On April 14, 2014, about 276 girls from Governrment Secondary School, Chibok, Borno State, were abducted by Boko Haram members.
A few of them were later released by their abductors.
The former Minister of Education, in a tweet, on Saturday lamented that the silence of the Federal Government in the release of the remaining girls in the captive of the Boko Haram sect was a shame, adding that it was painful that the girls were yet to be rescued after five years.
She wondered if the president would keep to his promise of rescuing the girls, saying that it was a shame on the government of President Buhari to keep quiet on the release of the girls.
She wondered why the government has kept quiet on the release of the girls, saying “Not a word on the status of their rescue by the Muhammadu Buhari government. It is a shame. A grand shame. We shall never forget them. What’s left to be said?
She hinted that the annual Chibokgirls Distinguished Lecture 2019 on the theme: The Agony of Chibok Girls: Shame of a Nation will be delievered tomorrow with Aisha Abubakar being the keynote speaker, just as Aiyyah Yesufu will deliver a special message in commemoration of the day.
Meanwhile, President Muhammadu Buhari, on Saturday, assured parents of the remaining abducted girls that he has still not forgotten their daughters, who were kidnapped from their dormitory five years ago.
A statement issued by Garba Shehu, Senior Special Assistant to the President (Media & Publicity), in Abuja recalled that the President promised the parents when he met them, at the beginning of his first term as president, that he would bring their daughters home.
According to the statement, Buhari is aware that this promise he made is the main reason the people of Chibok voted overwhelmingly for him in the February elections, and although his government has so far succeeded in bringing back 107 of the girls, the President will not rest until the remaining are reunited with their families.
President Buhari assured the parents that his administration is still on the matter.
He disclosed that diverse efforts were being intensified to secure the release of the Chibok Girls, along with all hostages in Boko Haram captivity, including Leah Sharibu who was kidnapped from her school, Science Secondary School, Dapchi, Yobe State, on February 19, 2018.
Addressing on Leah Sharibu’s abduction issue in particular, the statement disclosed that interlocutors have reported encouraging progress so far.
It added: “The report reaching us says her return to her family has unfortunately been hindered by the fear of the militants.
“They worry that heavy military presence in areas where they previously moved about freely could affect their safety after they return her to the government.
“At the same time, the military cannot jeopardise the security of the entire north-eastern region by halting their operations to accommodate Boko Haram’s fears.
“Leah Sharibu will be reunited with her family as soon as any conclusions are reached on a number of options being considered for her safe transportation.
“The success of the Nigerian military in subduing Boko Haram is evidenced by the large numbers of militants who have surrendered recently, especially in neighbouring Cameroon and Niger.
“A similar mass surrender of militants is expected to happen soon in Nigeria.
“While Nigerian military operations are ongoing, the government is also engaging with the militants but the talks have been affected by the factionalisation of Boko Haram – with one group adopting a hard line attitude and intensifying attacks on Nigeria, Cameroon and Chad, and another group engaging with the government for peaceful resolution.”
The statement said the President also used the opportunity of the commemoration of the Chibok tragedy to commend the girls, now women, who have triumphed over it all.
He sent special greetings to the 106 girls sponsored by the Nigerian government to continue their studies at the American University of Nigeria, Yola.
The statement further stated that he encouraged them to stay focused on becoming women who will inspire girls in Nigeria and around the world to triumph over the daily battles they face in a world that is often unfair to the girl-child.
President Buhari also extended his best wishes to Chibok girls in other schools in Nigeria and around the world.
He sent special congratulations to Kauna Yaga Bitrus, who the statement said, has excelled beyond expectations in her college in Maine, USA, and who is soon to receive a special ‘Against All Odds Award’ from her school.