2 dead, 23 rescued as gas explodes at Ajegunle

THE Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) has confirmed the death of two people in a gas explosion which occurred on Thursday.

It added that 23 others who were seriously injured were rescued from the explosion that occurred at Adule Street, Off Ojo Road, in Ajegunle area, near Apapa.

The Director-General of LASEMA, Dr Olufemi Oke-Osanyintolu, confirmed the development to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN).

Dr Oke-Osanyintolu said that when LASEMA officials arrived at the scene, they discovered that the explosion occurred as a result of gas leakage from a gas cylinder store.

“Our further investigations at the scene revealed that the fire ignited as a result of a phone call by an unidentified resident.

ALSO READ: Total harps on new technologies to drive oil exploration

“This spread to other nearby shops and a bungalow behind the shops.

“Unfortunately, two children (a male and a female) lost their lives and there were 23 other injured people who sustained multiple burns.

“All the injured have been evacuated to the Burnt Unit, Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos for treatment,” he said.
Oke-Osanyintolu said the bodies of one of the victims, identified as Damilare Afolabi, had been bagged by the LASEMA Response Team (LRT) and handed over to the family.

He, however, said that the entire area had been cordoned off and that post-disaster assessment was ongoing.
He urged residents to avoid the use of naked fire in the area to prevent further disaster.

Comments

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More