Students rushed to hospital as chlorine cylinder leaks in Bauchi

ACCIDENTAL leak of a chemical substance suspected to be chlorine from a cylinder in Bauchi State, on Friday, endangered the health of some students of a private school, Rainex Hallmark International College, who were attending classes.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) gathered that the cylinders, said to be owned by some businessmen from Kano State, were kept in premises close to the college, located in Fadaman Mada area of Bauchi.

A woman who described herself as the ‘Director of the School’ told NAN on Saturday that the incident occurred at about 10.00 a.m. on Friday.

“The students affected were both boys and girls. We had to rush them to the Specialists’ Hospital, Bauchi, where they were treated. I cannot tell you the exact number of those affected because I was not in my senses as we were trying to save their lives.

“We thank God that they have all recovered and there was no loss of lives,” said the woman, who did not want her name printed.

An eyewitness, who pleaded for anonymity, told NAN that apart from the students, other people conducting various businesses around the area were also injured.