A new indication has emerged that the much anticipated population census may have been shifted to 2018 and will no more hold in 2017 as earlier scheduled.
The next census, which was due in 2016, was shifted to 2017 but the pre-census exercises had since been held up due to inadequate funds and awaiting proclamation from President Muhammadu Buhari.
A top source at the National Population Commission (NPC)headquarters in Abuja, who confided in the Nigerian Tribune on Tuesday, hinted that the census exercise would now hold in 2018.
While confirming the development, he said although President Buhari was yet to make pronouncements, donor agencies were ready to support the commission.
The source also disclosed that a sum of N1.3 billion had been released to the commission out of the N4.5 billion allocated to it in the 2016 budget.
He said this was a welcomed development, as the commission would now be empowered to embark on its lined up activities for the year.
“The census is now 2018, it is no more 2017. So we will use the rest of 2016 and 2017 to plan for the exercise,” he said.