Operation Safe Haven in charge of security in Plateau and some parts of Bauchi State has rescued six persons abducted on November 19 around Zango-Lere forests in Lere district of Tafawa Balewa Local Government Area of Bauchi State.
The Operation Safe Haven Commander, Major-General Roger Nicholas, who disclosed this while speaking with newsmen in Jos, said families of the six Fulani persons rescued from captivity had earlier been asked to pay a ransom of N10 million before the undesirable elements were apprehended.
According to him, the kidnappers had opened fire on men of the command on rescue operation, but later abandoned their victims due to the superior fire force from men of the task force.
One of the parents of the victims, who spoke with newsmen, Mallam Saleh Isa, said the kidnappers had stormed Lere village around 11.00 p.m. on November 19 and abducted three males and three females.
Another parent of a victim, Adamu Mamman, said criminals around Tafawa Balewa axis had now resorted to kidnapping as a way of enriching themselves.
Mamman told the Commander that in the past, kidnappers had abducted two children and demanded a ransom of N2 million, which they paid.
It was gathered that the victims were handed over to their parents at the Operation Safe Haven headquarters in Jos, Plateau State, while the Commander, Forward Operation Base Tafawa Balewa, Colonel Adeola Kalejaiye, stressed that his men were committed to ensuring that cattle rustling and kidnapping in the area were brought under control.