Murdered Abuja female preacher: Her last moments •She was crying ‘blood of Jesus, somebody help me’ before she died

 •Osinbajo’s wife visits family •Husband weeps


It was a sad Saturday for residents of Pipeline, Kubwa, a suburb of the Federal Capital Territory, when a 42-year-old woman, Deaconess Eunice Olawale, was murdered in cold blood as she was observing her early morning preaching near her house.

The incident, which took place at the early hours of Saturday, July 9, left the entire neighbourhood speechless and confused.

Information gathered by Nigerian Tribune revealed that as she was being attacked, she was shouting and crying “blood of Jesus, somebody help me” until her voice was heard no more.

Some residents confirmed that they heard the voice of the woman as she was crying for help, but they couldn’t help because the perpetrators of the act were armed.

When Nigerian Tribune visited her residence on Sunday, in Kubwa, Abuja, hundreds of sympathisers, especially members of the Redeemed Christian Church of God (RCCG), where until her death, she was a deaconess, were there to mourn with her family.

The wife of the Vice President, Mrs Dolapo Osinbajo, visited the family, sympathised with them and prayer session was held for the family.

Mrs Osinbajo also signed the condolence register as sympathisers were crying uncontrollably, and described the deceased as a very good and simple woman.

    Mrs Osinbajo consoling Pastor Olawale. INSET: The junction where the deceased used to preach and where she was murdered.Mrs Osinbajo consoling Pastor Olawale.
    INSET: The junction where the deceased used to preach and where she was murdered.

Speaking with her husband, Pastor Elisha Olawale, Nigerian Tribune gathered that deceased, who had seven children was very dedicated in preaching every morning in her neighbourhood.

According to him “She goes out every morning for morning cry, which means when you wake up in the morning, take megaphone and preach.

“My wife goes out to preach between 5a.m. and 6a.m. On Saturday, she went out the same time, around 6:30a.m., two of my children used to go out to play football at a field nearby, my children came back and told me that they heard some footballers saying that a woman preaching this morning was killed and her megaphone was still there, they cut her head and her legs.

“I told my children it can’t be their mother, but they insisted we should go there and check, I wore my cloth and went there, when we got there, we didn’t see anybody, they have even covered her blood with sand.”

Pastor Olawale further said that on his way back from the scene, he saw a policeman who confirmed that such incident happened and the remains of the woman was taken to Phase 4 Police Station, Kubwa.

“I immediately rushed to my house, drove to the police station with two of my children, as we were entering the police gate, a pickup Van was coming out, and I saw my wife at the back of the pickup Van, at this point, I and my children burst into tears,” he added.

Some of the sympathisers lamented that similar incidents have been occurring in Kubwa where preachers were being attacked and molested by hoodlums.

When the Nigerian Tribune visited the Phase 4 Police Station, Kubwa, the Divisional Police Officer (DPO) was not available, but was received by the Divisional Crime Office (DCO) who craved anonymity, saying that she was not competent to speak on the case because it had been transferred to FCT Command and therefore, referred to the Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO).

The FCT Command spokesman, Anjuguri Manzah, who spoke on telephone, said that some arrests have been made and the investigation was inconclusive, that the media should wait for the outcome of the investigation.

He maintained that a formal statement would be issued by the police in respect of the investigation.