Four killed in farmer/herdsmen clash in Kwara

Four persons have been reportedly killed following a fresh clash between residents of Yaskira community in the Baruten local government area of Kwara State and Fulani herdsmen in the town.

It was gathered that residents of Yaskira community allegedly killed three Fulanis in retaliation to the killing of a farmer said to be an indigene of the community.

The man, whose corpse was found in his farm, had reportedly complained of incessant grazing of the farm by herds of cattle before his untimely death.

Sources close to the agrarian town told journalists in Ilorin on Monday that the deceased farmer had gone to his farm on the fateful only to see cattle that had always fed on his yam farm.

Some members of the community, who suspected that the act could not have been perpetrated by any other people except the herdsmen, descended on any Fulani herdsman on sight.

In an alleged retaliation, the ‎ Fulani herdsmen allegedly killed the farmer and dump his lifeless body on his farm.

The State Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP), Ajayi Okasanmi, who confirmed the killing, however, said that he was not sure of the number of the victims.

“I’m not too sure of the number of people that died. But the certain thing is that people died on the sides of both the Fulani and the community,” he said.

The police spokesperson also said that the Commissioner of Police, Mr Olusola Amore had ordered a thorough investigation into the matter with a view to bring the culprits to book.

“The Commissioner of Police has directed that a thorough investigation should be carried out. But as of now, I’m not aware yet of any arrest.

“The first is to restore peace, calmness and in the course of investigation, anyone found wanting shall be arrested; that I can assure,” he said.

Also speaking on the development, the chairman, Transition Implementation Committee, Baruten local government council of the state, Alhaji Musa Buge, who confirmed the killing said that normalcy had since been restored to area.

Buge said that arrangement was going on to have a security meeting of the council to work out a way to forestall future re-occurrence.

The council boss, who said that he was at the community to meet with all the stakeholders, added he had an assurance that the killing would stop.