_ap_ufes{"success":true,"siteUrl":"tribuneonlineng.com","urls":{"Home":"http://tribuneonlineng.com","Category":"http://tribuneonlineng.com/category/a-healthy-heart/","Archive":"http://tribuneonlineng.com/2016/12/","Post":"http://tribuneonlineng.com/young-political-leaders-meet-abuja/","Page":"http://tribuneonlineng.com/newsletter-signup/","Attachment":"http://tribuneonlineng.com/?attachment_id=47040","Nav_menu_item":"http://tribuneonlineng.com/43822/"}}_ap_ufee

Fire destroys buildings, property worth millions of Naira in Delta

Burnt property

A bakery and a few residential houses were, on Thursday, razed by fire at Agbassa community, in Warri South Local Government Area of Delta State.

Metro learnt that the incident was caused by a breach of electricity as a result of high power voltage from the Benin Electricity Distribution Company (BEDC).

The resultant inferno, when Metro visited the scene, destroyed goods worth millions of naira.

No life, Metro learnt, was lost to the inferno, but residents of the area were seen wailing over the loss amid a biting economic recession.

An eyewitness, who refused to disclose his identity, relayed the incident in pidgin that “na when I hear say people dey shout fire oh!, naim I come.

“Food items, clothes, money, everything burn finish for the house; na only few things person fit carry commot.

“Na when light come nor tee, people dey shout fire, na then we begin try off am and call fire service before them come.”

Another resident, who took Metro round the debris, said the fire got worse as a result of storage of gas in cylinders in the bakery which, he said, aggravated  the fire.

Meanwhile, the Warri Divisional Fire Service Officer, Mr Francis Tamigbe, said his command received the distress call around 2.00 p.m. and were able to quench the inferno.

He advised the public to be careful with electronic appliances and flammable objects as the harmattan season was fast approaching.

“My message to the public, especially as the harmattan season is at hand, is that parents should watch over their children and advise them to avoid playing with matches and other items that could cause fire outbreak,” he pleaded.