Fire at Bayelsa BIR chairman’s residence, kills 2

A fire outbreak at the residence of the chairman of Bayelsa Board of Internal Revenue, Mr Nimibofa Ayawei, on Saturday, claimed two lives, eyewitnesses has said.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reported that the two victims were Ayawei’s son and his girlfriend, who were in the building located in Akenfa, a suburb of Yenagoa.

NAN learnt sympathisers and residents assisted in putting out the fire and saved the building from being razed.

A family source, Mr James Akan, confirmed to NAN that the two victims were Mr Mike Ayawei and his girlfriend, whose name could not be immediately ascertained.

Akan said the fire started early on Saturday as Port-Harcourt Electricity Distribution Company restored power supply, raising suspicion that the incident might be from power surge.

“The family members have deposited the remains of the two persons at the mortuary; it is really a pathetic sight.

“As they restored power, there was a loud noise like explosion and other occupants of rooms in the house started scampering for safety.

“Mike was trying to save his girlfriend before they were caught up in the fire.

“It is a pity, others even broke the protector in an effort to save them, but help came too late, as he died trying to save his girlfriend,” Akan said.

Akan said Ayawei just recovered from serious ailment and was away for burial when the fire broke out.

When contacted, the Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), DSP Asinim

Butswat, said the command received a distress call that a house was burning and immediately dispatched a response team.

Meanwhile, the Head of Fire Service in Yenagoa, Mr Dennis

Obumor said the  service was not contacted during the fire.

Obumor said the service was unaware of the incident.