Doctor still in kidnappers’ den as lecturer regains freedom in Rivers

The abducted lecturer of the Department of Science and Laboratory Technology of the Rivers State-owned Ken Saro-Wiwa Polytechnic, Bori, Abiye Ogan, has been rescued by security agencies.

The lecturer, who was abducted at 11:00 p.m., last Sunday, while resting in his home in Bori, headquarters of Khana Local Government Area, was rescued on Friday night.

Chairman of the Academic Staff Union of Polytechnic (ASUP) of the institution, Ferry Gberegbe, confirmed the release of Ogan, who was said not to be in good health as of the time of regaining his freedom.

“We thank God for his release and the efforts of security agencies who ensured his release last night due to credible information gathering and successful rescue operation of the security agencies.

“As I speak to you, he has reunited with his family in Okrika but he is not hearing well due the beatings and torture he received from his abductor forcing him to pay ransom.”

Consequent upon the freedom of Ogan, the ASUP chairman directed lecturers of the institution who went on strike in solidarity with their kidnapped colleague to resume work on Monday.

In a related development, the Medical and Dental Consultants Association of Nigeria, Rivers State branch, has give a 24-hour ultimatum for the release of their kidnapped colleague, Dr Chukwuemeka Agi.

Chairman of the association, University of Port Harcourt Teaching Hospital (UPTH), Dr Lucky Onotayi, said nothing had been said about the doctor over 72 hours since he was kidnapped.

When contacted, the new spokesman of the Rivers State Police Command, DSP Omoni Nnamdi, said he was yet to be briefed about the abduction of the doctor as he just resumed office.

“However, I can assure you that I will get a clearer picture of the incident by Monday and, by then, I should be in a better stead to tell you what the police are doing to effect his release,” he told Sunday Tribune in a telephone conversation, on Saturday.