Boko Haram destroyed 910 schools, displaced 952,029 pupils in North East —UN

More than 910 schools were destroyed while at least 1,500 others in the North East were forced to close by Boko Haram attacks between 2009 and 2015 the United Nations (UN) has said.

Its National Information Officer, Mr Oluseyi Soremekun, announced the figures in a media advisory entitled: “Launch of the 2016 Global Education Monitoring Report in Nigeria.”

According to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), Soremekun said the report was due to be launched on Monday by UNESCO and the Federal Ministry of Education.

The official said that by early 2016, an estimated 952,029 school-age children had fled the violence in the zone.

According to the report, “between 2009 and 2015, attacks in North-Eastern Nigeria destroyed more than 910 schools and forced at least 1,500 to close and teachers are at risk.

“By early 2016, an estimated 952,029 school-age children had fled the violence. Teachers are at risk.

“As of 2015 in Nigeria, where Boko Haram has targeted education workers and students, at least 611 teachers had been deliberately killed and 19,000 forced to flee since 2009.”

He said UNESCO and the Federal Ministry of Education were organising a stakeholders’ forum on the implementation of Goal 4 of the Sustainable Development Goals and also launch the report.

Soremekun said the theme of the report was “Education for people and planet: Creating sustainable futures for all.”

The new Global Education Monitoring Report by UNESCO shows the potential for education to propel progress toward all global goals outlined in the new 2030 agenda for sustainable development.

The report said there is an urgent need for progress in education to speed up.