Army confirms return of missing soldiers in Borno

THE Nigerian Army, on Wednesday, said a sizeable number of the 39 soldiers declared missing after suspected Boko Haram’s attack in the border town of Gashigar in Borno, last week, had returned.

Major-General Lucky Irabor, the Theater Commander of Operation Lafiya Dole, stated this while briefing newsmen in Maiduguri, Borno State.

“It is true that about 39 soldiers were declared missing. I want to inform you that a sizeable number of our soldiers had returned to base,” Irabor said.

He, however, admitted that a few soldiers were yet to be found.

“I think it is only a handful that have not been found,” Irabor said, declining to state their exact number.

He said the military was engaged in an ongoing operation to uproot the terrorists from the area.

“Operations are ongoing in the area. I think that we will give you the details in due course,” Irabor said.

He also said the military was focused on rescuing the remaining Chibok girls from the Boko Haram terrorists, in spite of the release of the 21 girls by the insurgents.

“We have a task before us that anyone held by the Boko Haram terrorists must be rescued. We will do everything possible to rescue them,” Irabor said.

He said the military had recorded progress in its quest to apprehend collaborators of the Boko Haram terrorists in the North-East.

“So far, we have arrested 30 suspects in connection with the crime of collaborating with the terrorists. We have four soldiers, two policemen, vigilantes and other civilians,” Irabor said.

loading...