The family of the abducted monarch of Iba town, Ojo Local Government Area, Lagos, Yushau Oseni, has said that the kidnappers have contacted them demanding N500 million as ransom for his release.
One of the king’s daughters and former chairperson, Iba Local Government Council, Mrs Ramota Oseni, said the abductors had contacted the family since July 20.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the 74-year-old traditional ruler was abducted in his Palace at Iba on July 16 at about 8 p.m.
He had celebrated his 40 years on the throne on Nov. 22, 2015.
Mrs Oseni said the family decided not to make the ransom public since then for security reasons as they thought they could resolve it internally.
She said the family had negotiated with the abductors to pay N40million, which was not available but had contacted the state government to augment so that he would be released.
According to her, it was to the family’s dismay that the state government, through the Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Matters had not responded since then.
“I immediately called the commissioner to inform him of the development and to get across to the state government
“But subsequent calls to his phone since then were unanswered and he did not get back to us either,” she said.
She said the family also called on the Commissioner of Police, Fatai Owoseni but to no avail.
Owoseni, in a telephone interview with newsmen, said it was not advisable to make the ransom public.
Owoseni said such issues when discussed in the public domain would encourage the kidnappers.
He added that investigation was ongoing to rescue the monarch and disclosing the strategy of the police toward this would jeopardise their effort.