3 killed by suspected Customs officers in Lagos shooting

Three people, including a pregnant woman, were early Thursday killed as suspected Customs officers went on rampage in the Alakuko area of Lagos State.

The police in the state confirmed the incident, but claimed that only one person had been confirmed dead.

The killings by the suspected officers sparked instant protest from commercial bus drivers and motorcyclists before they were dispersed by a team of policemen from Alakuko police station.

The incident also created serious gridlock at both sides of the Lagos- Abeokuta Expressway as the protesters took over the road.

The other two victims of the shooting spree by the Customs officers were an unidentified secondary school  student and a commercial motorcyclist.

The Customs officer had reportedly chased a commercial bus loaded with bags of rice when the incident happened.

An eyewitness, who identified himself as Ademola, told Metro that “the commercial bus was coming from Sango with many bags of rice.”

He added that “it appeared that the driver refused to stop for the Customs officers and they chased him to this area.

“We just heard serious gunshots and everybody started running into different direction. It was around past 7 and the road was full with many people” the eyewitness said.

He also said “I only saw the okada rider, but other people said two other people, who included a pregnant woman and a secondary school girl also died.”

The eyewitness also said that the Customs officer also shot repeatedly to scare away policemen who were drafted to the scene before they escaped.

Residents of the area, who spoke with the Metro, urged Lagos and the Ogun state governments to find a lasting solution to the menace of Customs officers in the area.

The residents accused the Customs officers of abandoning the border to man illegal checkpoint between Sango Toll gate and Awori U-turn.

The image maker in charge of the state police command, Dolapo Badmos, while speaking with the Metro on the incident, said “the report is that in the early hours of  today at about 7 00 a. m.  some Customs officials were on the trail of a vehicle.”

She continued that “in the process, they went berserk. They started shooting. One passerby was shot to death.”

Badmos also said that “the patrol team, led by the DPO of Alakuko  division moved to the area to douse the tension. They fired sporadically and escaped from the scene.

“The dead body was evacuated to the morgue while investigations are on going on the matter,” the police spokesperson also added.